Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown installation in progress, can't stop

• Please log in to reply

thkutz

thkutz

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Computer has an unknown installation in progress.

When starting Money 2002 "Installing" window keeps flashing. Money eventually starts up then continues flashing "Installing" window occassionally.

I have tried to unistall Money, but cannot and get the message " Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install."

I have started in SAfe Mode and I can't remove the program that way. I have started the computer from the Operating System cd and still I cannot uninstall or install any other program.

Computer does not shut down...Stays on "Windows is shutting down". I have to hold in button to shut off. Did shut down in safe mode though.

Gateway support suggested above, but really had no idea how to just stop the phantom installation.

I have also tried to repair office, but of course can't install the repair because an installation is already in progress. Has been doing this for over a month. Perhaps coincides with updating to SP2.

Edited by thkutz, 17 September 2005 - 11:02 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
thkutz...

There is a Windows update that installs on shutdown. If this is happening, when you shut down, it will say "Installing Updates Do Not Shut Down" (or similar) under the usual "Windows is Shutting Down" dialog. Many times there will be an "Icon" on the Shutdown button" when you try to shut the machine off.

Shut your machine down normally and let it run for a while...I have seen this update take up to an hour to install.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 17 September 2005 - 11:16 AM.

thkutz

thkutz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It has something to do with Microsoft Money. When I start that program it flashes maybe a dozen times..."Windows Installer-Preparing to install". Then as I am using the program that flashes throughout the session.

I cannot uninstall any program, or update any program because the system says that there is an installation in progress.

I need to know how to stop this installation in progress.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
thkutz...

Click Start then Run and type msconfig. Under the "Startup" tab, look for an entry relating to Money and uncheck the box next to it if you find one. Apply the change and exit.

Let me know what you find.

wannabe1

thkutz

thkutz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
There is a blank item that I unchecked and an Office item. I don't know if either of these is relevant. I have attached the list of the start up items.

Attached Thumbnails

• startup.jpg

thkutz

thkutz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Here is what I have done since last post:

Unchecked the blank start up item. Then tried to restart. Shut down hangs up. Says "Saving your settings", then stays on "Windows is shutting down". I waited for five minutes during which there is no noticeable drive activity. Computer is completely silent. Then I shut down by holding in the power button.

Restarted. Started Money. Flashes "Preparing to install" 15 times before it stops. PRogram opens. Closed MOney. In MSCONFIG I unchecked the Microsoft Office startup item. Then tried to restart. Same shut down procedure as above. This time when I started up computer went through CHKDSK. When finished I started Money...same problem.

After talking this over with so many people and paying for support...I am pretty sure that I need to stop whatever is trying to install. But no one seems to know how to do that.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
thkutz...

I'm running out of ideas, too. Let's try resetting the Windows Installer.

Click Start and then Run type msiexec /unregister (Note the space before /) and click "Ok".
Your computer will not display any message if you typed the command correctly. If you see a message or error of any sort, check your spelling then repeat this step.

Click Start and then Run type msiexec /regserver (Note the space before /) and click "Ok".
Again, your computer will not display any message if you typed the command correctly. If you see a message or error of any sort, check your spelling then repeat this step.

Let me know how you fare...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 17 September 2005 - 12:18 PM.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I had a similar problem with microsoft money on my emachine when I tried to uninstall it once. I just kept clicking cancel when it tried to install itself again and eventually it stopped. I think its a bug in the program itself.

it can basically be classed as an application hang. if you can identify the process in task manager that is associated with the install, you can try to terminate it.

a google for microsoft money turns up the microsoft support site. you can use this to access support issues for money 2006 and older. it's definitely an application bug and microsoft is most likely to have solutions for it.

thkutz

thkutz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, Have to run out. Will try more when I get back.