Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Appears to freeze at startup - CRIPPLED

• Please log in to reply

RuffRhyno

RuffRhyno

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all, I am new to the forum and have done a search on my problem, but nothing has seem to come up that resembles the same issue I'm experiencing.

Here is my dilemma:
My computer has worked fine for almost 2 years now, but as of about a week ago things got wacky. I contracted the malware known as AZE Search, and I'm sure a couple other little unwanted stow-aways, and my computer would act a little sluggish. Plus, it became increasingly more annoying with the constant popups, the IE browser freezing up when I'd try to open a new window, random browser closings, etc. So, yesterday I rebooted my computer in hopes to clear things out and start troubleshooting the removal of the problem.

Now, there is a new issue. And it's preventing me from going any further in the process. Every time I boot up windows, it will bring me to the screen where I can choose what account to log in under, the admin or a guest. Once I make my choice, I am brought to the desktop where everything shows on screen fine, and seems ok for all of about... 2 seconds. Then, everything stops. I can move my mouse cursor around the screen, but not select anything. When I scroll over the taskbar, all that shows the whole time is the little hourglass. I can bring up the task manager using CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and it shows 0 Applications running. A list of image names under "Processes". All of them have the either 00 or a low number such as 01 fluctuating under CPU. The only one that has a high number is System Idle Process, which is fixed at 99. Under the "Performance" tab, the CPU usage is only at about 3%.

This same thing happens under the guest account as well. I can open up MSCONFIG through the File->New Task (Run). I can also log off, switch accounts, or restart the computer through the Task Manager, but one thing I should mention is that every time I do and windows goes to close, the box comes up saying that EXPLORER.EXE isn't responding and asks me if I want to forcefully close it or wait. So, this leads me to believe that it is either a problem with Windows Explorer or some other programming locking up Explorer. I've tried to boot the computer up into Safe Mode but the same issues happen. So unfortunately I can't install/run any new adware or spyware removal programs. If I can just get passed this locking up problem than that would be a huge hurdle in the right direction.

I'm very frustrated and I need my computer for school... I also have lots of valuable files that I can't afford to lose on here. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks guys.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi RuffRhyno...Welcome to G2G!

There are a couple of things we can try. You say you can use the Run Command??? (Task Manager > New Task)

type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, In the "Run" box, type chkdsk /r /f (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted. This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 17 September 2005 - 12:40 PM.

RuffRhyno

RuffRhyno

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello wannabe1, thanks for the reply. Before I posted this thread, I did run sfc /scannow and inserted the windows xp cd. It didn't take too long, maybe 15-20 minutes to complete but afterwards nothing happened. I will try it again and the extra instructions that you left me. I'll post here as soon as I do.

Out of curiosity, what does this do?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
RuffRhyno...

The scannow compares the files on the hard drive with files on the cd and repairs or replaces damaged or missing files. chkdsk does much the same but is a little more extensive and also checks other areas of the disk.

wannabe1

RuffRhyno

RuffRhyno

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
so, I performed the operations above successfully, and much to my dismay when I rebooted my computer, nothing had changed. Still an hourglass cursor when I run it over the startmenu which doesn't respond. I just want to know what is causing Windows Explorer not to operate.

And if it comes down to me having to reinstall windows, can I backup my work/harddrive, either by burning cd's/dvd's from this computer or using an external harddrive?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? This problem might be a little tough to fix unless we can at least get into it a little further.

wannabe1

RuffRhyno

RuffRhyno

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
safemode yields the same result as normal bootup.... explorer stops responding.... nothing comes up on screen besides the Task Manager

RuffRhyno

RuffRhyno

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well I've come to grips that the only solution will be to format my harddrive, but until I do that, I'd like to save as much as I can first. Is there any way to backup my harddrive, whether it be through DOS either by burning onto a cd/dvd or copying to an external harddrive?

Ricavinho

Ricavinho

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys i seem to have the same problem as RuffRhyno, but I've noticed one thing at the task bar: closing the "explorer.exe" and re-opening it, I can run the "Windows" normally, though when restarting the computer I face the same problem, and so I must always close and re-open the explorer...
Does anyone of you imagine what could it be? I guess it's not a problem from the own "explorer.exe" because it runs perfectly when re-opened...

I'm sorry for any english writing error (hehe) because I'm not american...
Any answer would help guys

Thanks,
Ricavinho.