Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Patch cable question

• Please log in to reply

brandonbird

brandonbird

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,
I need to buy a really long ethernet cable. I've found a lot of cables online such as the Belkin Cat-5 e Patch Cable (100ft). Is a patch cable the same as an ethernet cable? Thanks.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello brandonbird and welcome to G2G,

Yes... that is just a Cat5 ethernet cable....Are you trying to install a WIRED home network... if so here is a much better solution versus running cat5 outlets all over the place: Use google and check out the Linksys Powerline adapters. They use your homes' existing electrical outlets as a cat5 jack. Powerline is just as fast, reliable and secure as cat5.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It says it's Cat-5e cable in what you just posted, so yes it's the same.

highlandguru

highlandguru

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A patch cable should use braided cable as it is flexible, the minimum length is 0.5 metres and the maximum lenght in theory would be 100 metres.

Solid cable is used in permanent wiring connections i.e. from a distribtution point/patch panel to a data faceplate on the wall.

Both are Thin Ethernet cables & Cat 5e is probably the most common type in the wild.

If you need to go longer than 100 metres to any single point with cat 5e you will have to use a repeater or you could consider fibre optic for much greater distance.

I hope this helps.