Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windoze XP

• Please log in to reply

shoogle123

shoogle123

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, Mr. Gates got me. I purchased a Dell version of XP on eBay (sucker <g>)
I installed it earlier on--seemed to be ok. But...in the meantime wife got sick and was tied up running to the hospital.
..of course I didn' t 'activate' it and now it won't start up (Geez I HATE that!)

What I actually did was plunk in a brand new drive to install it on (just fine), and kept my old Win98 as it was on the orginal so I can switch back and forth ok--works just fine.
Now, I'm told that I can contact MS and with some begging and kneeling and scraping they will tell me how to activate it. Does anyone know, is this true? and how does it work?

Also I understand there is something called 'voting' whereby you are limited to the devices that are installed on the machine.

Please someone with more knowledge than me; I need help.
Hey I'm an old 'geezer' (70) and can't afford all this expensive software
Well, anyway thanks in advance if you can point me in the right direction.
At least I have lots of time, if I don't have any money <g>
KJ

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You should be able to turn the computer on, but it will pop up a message saying that Windows needs to be activated before you can continue. Just click yes to activate and follow the on-screen instructions.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi shoogle123...Welcome to G2G!

Actually, I have been through this process with Microsoft and the support person I talked with was very courtious and helpful...The software was activated in minutes and without the grovelling I expected.

The "voting" process is true. XP allows a certain amount of hardware to be changed before it "sees" it as a different machine. Adding a bit here and a bit there does not seem to affect it and, on my machine at least, is seems to adapt and accept it's new environment. (I'm constantly changing something in or out...)

Hope this helps...

wannabe1