Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows shuts itself down

• Please log in to reply

Jrwhite8

Jrwhite8

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a custom built computer with Windows XP that I've had for about three years. The last month or so it has been acting up. When I turn on the computer, then click my name to log in to my account it does so without a problem. But then whenever I click a program, either immediately or after a few minutes the computer all of a sudden logs me off and shuts itself down. It doesn't just turn off, leading me to believe it's a Windows problem, not a hardware problem. And here's the funny part: if I log in to my account, then quickly switch users and log into another account, when it tries to shut down a message pops up saying "Other people are logged on to this computer. Shutting down Windows might cause them to lose data. Do you want to continue shutting down?" And if I just ignore that window, I can stay on the computer as long as I want. It seems like if I can "trick" the computer into not shutting down, the problem isn't that serious. Any ideas how to fix it?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To check for a couple of things, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progess bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Step 1) When you change user to stay on go to start > control panel
double click on the system icon then the Advanced Tab> startup recovery settings
Under system faliure check on write an event to the system log
Uncheck Automatically restart. Click on Ok and reboot
Has this helped?

Step 2)If you can go Start > run > type in eventvwr.msc click ok.
this should open the Event viewer click on system are there any red x
if yes what is the source name and what is the event number

Jrwhite8

Jrwhite8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
To peterm:

Under the Event viewer there are Yellow ! Warning ones:
1. Source= Tcpip, Event# 4226 (which appears seven times)
2. Source= USER32, Event# 1073 (which appears twice)
3. Source= W32Time, Event# 36 (which appears three times)
4. Source= Dhcp, Event# 1003 (which appears twice)

And there are Red X's
1. Source= DCOM, Event# 10005 (which appears eight times)
2. Source= Service Control Manager, Event# 7026 (which appears twice)
3. Source= Windows Update Agent, Event# 16
4. Source= System Error, Event# 1003 (which appears thirty one times)
5. Source= Dhcp, Event# 1002
6. Source= Windows Update Agent, Event# 20 (which appears six times)
7. Source= Service Control Manager, Event# 7001 (which appears four times)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Have a read of this. If you need help let us know.
Dcoom 10005?
Have you downloaded any updates lately?

2. Source= Service Control Manager, Event# 7026

Does this one say anthing about drivers that failed to load ?
Are you running Server software ?

4. Source= System Error, Event# 1003 (which appears thirty one times)

Are you running Terminal services? do you get a BSOD (blue screen of death)
with error messages
Like This

Edited by peterm, 19 September 2005 - 02:02 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
If this all appears a lot to digest please let me know I assume that since you custom built your computer you have some understanding of them.
But feel free to ask. Remember my Rule 2

Jrwhite8

Jrwhite8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I was getting the blue screen of death until a friend of mine fixed it by running some Norton stuff. But now it just wants to shut down instead. It was actually another friend of mine who built the computer; I have a certain amount of computer literacy, but it's relatively limited. I have downloaded Windows XP Service Pack 2. I'm not running server software, and i don't think i'm running terminal services. As for the DCOOM 10005 link, the "Help and Support" Startup type was already Automatic. So, yeah, I do need some help.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
1) Are you running Service pack 4
2) Do you have your windows cd
If yes to both of the above the try the fix in post #2