Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

McAfee Virus Scan 2006 v10.0

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Removed Seciurity Center 2004 but cannot load Virus Scan 2006. After inserting the CD, I get a button on the toolbar but cannot expand it to a window. It allows me the two options of Moving (which does not work) and close (which does work). I'm running XP Pro w/SP2. Disabled CounterSpy just in case it would conflict with the installation. Any ideas as to how to get this booger up and running?

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,585 posts
this is what mcafee support recomened:

McAfee told me that I would have to clean up the registry to rid my pc of any trace of the 2004 version as follows:

After add and remove programs
Remove the following:

privacy service
security center ---- *must be installed last*

Website about backing up registry.

Steps to delete the entry’s:

Click on (+) mark before HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Click on (+) mark before software.
There you will see McAfee and McAfee.com folder please delete both.

Check for Network associates folder then click on delete.
Click on (+) mark before Microsoft.
Click on (+) mark before windows.
Click on (+) mark before Current Version.
Click on Run. You will see the entries on McAfee on the right side of the page please select one by one then delete it.

After that you need to restart the computer.