Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help replacing a ATA/IDE hard drive with SATA?

• Please log in to reply

Speedracer

Speedracer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi All,

I have an old IBM Travelstar 48Gb 2.5inch x 12.5mm laptop hard drive which runs at 5400 RPM and is developing lots of bad sectors.

I want to replace it but am having difficulty choosing a new HDD that is suitable.

It is going into an existing DELL Inspiron 8100 as the C drive running Windows 2000 as the operating system.

I can get hold of another IBM Travelstar 48Gb for about £60 but would prefer some more room so I am looking for approx 80Gb in storage. I like the look of Seagate but all their drives are too high at 25mm. Any suggestions on ones to buy that are the right dimensions?

I assume any similar size Mini (2.5 inch) HDD that runs at up to 7800rpm and has either ATA-100 or SATA will be able to be set up on the machine?

cheers in advance for any help.

Speedracer

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

You won't be able to use an sata drive unless the laptop specifically supports sata. If the original drive was standard ATA, then the replacement will need to be ATA as well.

You can get 7200 rpm drives but they are much more expensive, most 2.5in drives are only 4200 or 5400rpm.

Here's a couple of examples that should work with your system :

Seagate 60GB 5400rpm 8MB cache ATA100 :
http://www.ebuyer.co...oduct_uid=79230

WD 80GB 5400rpm 8MB cache :
http://www.ebuyer.co...oduct_uid=79434