Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AOL Disconnects

• Please log in to reply

beedleb

beedleb

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello!

Not sure where to post this problem. Let me know if I'm in the wrong spot! I have been having an AOL connection problem for the last week that I cannot resolve with tech support. I am experiencing systematic disconnections from AOL every hour. This was consistent for several days. Now I occasionally miss an hour but for the most part its still hourly. They began at 10 minutes after the hour and are progressing by a few seconds each time. I can see the progression in the AOL service logs, so the times look something like this:
14:10:06
15:10:22
16:10:48
17:10:59
18:11:10 etc. etc.
I'm now up to 32 minutes after the hour. I do not lose my cable connection. IE stays up. I can reconnect immediately. I'm on broadband cable on a laptop running wireless. I don't know where to begin to resolve this! AOL TS has had me run spyware but that's about it. I have Spybot and AVG antivirus. Please help!

Michelle

P.S. Have also run Cleanup. I have been unable to install Hijack. My old Mcafee anti-virus keeps blocking my attempts telling me the file has a worm.

Edited by beedleb, 17 September 2005 - 09:54 PM.

Advertisements

Tensaei

Tensaei

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Running on Dial-up?
If so, I believe AOL disconnects for you when you are not active with the browser or w/e.
I here alot about this when playing games.
I found a way to stop this with a program a while back, but I'm not sure where I really looked...

EDIT: Opps sory, I disregarded reading your post, so I guess this post won't help...
:tazz:

Edited by Tensaei, 18 September 2005 - 10:33 AM.

beedleb

beedleb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Update...Starting today, the disconnects are now occurring every 30 minutes..currently at 4 minutes after the hour and 34 minutes after the hour. I have a bad feeling about this! Things are moving in the wrong direction here. :tazz: I am unable to install Hijack This (I posted this problem in the applications forum). Help! :)

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi there

you might like to try the steps outlined here

http://channels.aols...715111509990002

UKBiker

beedleb

beedleb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hurray! I got Hijack This to work! Log is below:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:38:45 PM, on 9/18/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Log removed as it has already been posted in malware

Edited by ukbiker, 18 September 2005 - 06:54 PM.

beedleb

beedleb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi there

you might like to try the steps outlined here

http://channels.aols...715111509990002

UKBiker

View Post

Thanks for your response. I checked your link. It leads me through to the AOL autofix then when I fire it up it says it's not available for my connection type (cable modem). I think I have everything else referenced covered already.

Thanks anyway!
Michelle