Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help w/sudden cpu breakdown!

• Please log in to reply

jubilee

jubilee

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I was networking two computers and switching only the monitors (unplugging from one cpu and plugging into another) to transfer files between the two. Everything was fine until this morning, I tried to plug the monitor into my old computer and I saw some white waves coming across the screen. So then I unplugged it and checked to see if all the outlets were correctly in their place, which it was.
I tried to plug the monitor back onto my computer and now theres no picture at all. Thinking maybe I need to 'wake' it up, I tried activating the mouse and keyboard and none of them will respond.
I tested the monitor with the second computer of the two, and it works fine (I'm using it now), so I am assuming there's a problem with my old computer.
I've done nothing different to it, and I've been able to access it just a few days ago.

Please help me, I'm so frustrated!
thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You sure you have it connected to the right video plug on the computer? Check for a video plug lower in one of the PCI slots. The plug would be horizontal instead of vertical like it is with onboard video. Might not be your problem, but lots of people I know do that by accident and they think their computer is broke when it really isn't. :tazz:

jubilee

jubilee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yeah, the plug is in the right place. I've been plugging it into the same place this whole time...but today it just won't work anymore. the white flickering screen is now black and i get no signal at all. i hear the fan running and the computer booting up but no lights on my monitor or my cpu. the monitor works on my other computer though. can someone please help?? i need my files from the old computer. is there a way i can control the un-bootable computer with the one im using? also, if its possible can i use the programs and/or burner on the computer i cant access via monitor?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can always set the hard drive from the computer that isn't working as a SLAVE on the computer that is working and then transfer over the files that you need.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
As for why the computer wont work, there are a number of possibilities.
  • The power supply could be partially dead.
  • Memory could be bad, try taking it out and reseating them.
  • the processor could be damaged
  • The motherboard could be damaged
You could also try taking out everything that isn't needed to start the computer, such as all the PCI cards, unplugging the CD/DVD/zip/tape/etc.. drives.

And I believe you said you tried both monitors with the computer that isn't working or just one? Try both if you haven't.

I would also try getting a PCI/AGP video card and see if that works. It's not worth going out and buying one to test it. See if you can get one from a friend or something.

Good luck!