Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SCSI Drives ?

• Please log in to reply

Gabriel

Gabriel

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Before I falk out a but of cash just wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge of these Hard drives, ow they run etc..!?

Thanks guys

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scsi

Not for your average user requires a special motherboard or a controller card
. Stick with SATA or IDE.

Gabriel

Gabriel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scsi

Not for your average user requires a special motherboard or a controller card
. Stick with SATA or IDE.

View Post

I am awatre of how they are used just wondering if anyone has any 1st hand experience with them.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Right then well that article did give you the speeds there and thats the big factor on how a drive runs. Not many people use them they are for multimedia workstations mostly.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I've always used SCSI drives in my own machine - at the moment I have a 73GB U160 10000rpm Seagate Cheetah drive, as well as two IDE drives.

Warriorscot is right, IDE or SATA are adequate for most applications and are certainly the cheaper option.
SCSI drives are not only more expensive but also require a scsi controller card (assuming the motherboard doesn't have scsi built-in). For 50pin SCSI drives (eg optical drives etc) the controller cards are cheap enough but fast 68pin (Ultra 3 etc) scsi cards are expensive.

Some advantages of using scsi hard drives & controller cards are :

-drives are generally more reliable & faster - especially in terms of continuous data transfer rates
-You can daisy chain multiple devices on a single controller card
-The controller card will have its own bios which allows you to fully configure each scsi device individually.

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
IDE hard drives are also alot more forgiving if you plug IDE cables in the wrong way that's fine, just swop it around the HDD works again, SCSI HDDs on the other hand will most probably die (someone not me I swear, killed a SCSI drive when I... I mean that person was 12)

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
lmao, pwned.

Im also getting a scsi drive at some point, just for experimentation. I hear sata doesnt give the full whack because most of the drives are the same as the IDE equivelant except with different interfaces.