Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

thnall1z, aurareco and nfahvjjuaq.exe infections [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

skate_punk_21

skate_punk_21

Malware Removal Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 1,049 posts
Nope, all are legit.

Using Uninstall Manager
  • Double click on HijackThis.exe to run it.
  • Go to Config || Misc Tools
  • click the button labelled "Open Uninstall Manager"
  • For stubborn add/remove entries, select the entry that wont go away, and click "Delete This Entry"
  • Then click the "refresh" button and look to make sure it hasnt come back. You may need to do this a couple times.

Edited by skate_punk_21, 26 September 2005 - 09:29 PM.

Advertisements

tappy3214

tappy3214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I did that once and I was able to get rid of the best offers program. Thanks! Should I continue with these instructions which were posted in an earlier message:

1. System Restore
Now that we know your system is clean, we want to purge any potentially infected restore points. To do that, complete the following:

Turn off System Restore by Clicking Start > right-click My Computer and then click Properties. Click the System Restore tab > Check "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives". Click Apply. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click Yes to do this. Click OK.

To re-enable this function - simply uncheck this same box, and click "apply" and "ok"

2. Reset Hidden Files & Folders
Go to My Computer >Tools >Folder Options >View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is UNchecked. Also make sure that the System Files and Folders are invisible. CHECK the Hide protected operating system files option.

Also Consider...
SpywareBlaster to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place.

SpywareGuard to catch and block spyware before it can execute.

IESpy-Ad to block access to malicious websites so you cannot be redirected to them from an infected site or email.
You should also have a good firewall. Here are 3 free ones available for personal use:
Sygate Personal Firewall

Kerio Personal Firewall

ZoneAlarm

skate_punk_21

skate_punk_21

Malware Removal Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 1,049 posts
:tazz:
if you are still having trouble please let me know otherwise you may go ahead and follow those last instructions.

tappy3214

tappy3214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thank you for all your help and quick responses. I really appreciate all that you've done. I have set all the settings back to normal and will be downloading spyware blaster and zonealarm. one last question, if i'm using norton antivirus and it has the personal firewall, should i still download zonealarm?

skate_punk_21

skate_punk_21

Malware Removal Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 1,049 posts
Nope, you should be fine then :tazz:
Glad I could help
Skate

skate_punk_21

skate_punk_21

Malware Removal Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 1,049 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.