Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dynex DX-M100 No Sound

• Please log in to reply

moquif

moquif

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I installed this Modem on my Mom's computer a few months ago. I'm sure I did everything correctly, but the only sound I get is the dial tone. I cannot access the Volume Control in Windows 98. (Yes, it's an old computer, but it's still working.) I have uninstalled and reinstalled the modem several times, but nothing related to sound works. Even the Playback in the multimedia properties is greyed out. This in an HP Pavilion so could there be a hardware conflict? The FAQ section on the Dynex website, which is just a phone number, is less than helpful. How can I get the sound working again or do I need to 1) install the old modem in a different slot and use it only for sound or 2) get a new modem or whatever? I really would like to know why the sound is no longer working. Thank you

Advertisements

jmd8421r

jmd8421r

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having a like problem. After I installed the Dynex USB modem I began to have problems with the sounds that I had associated with some Windows functions. I also have a USB connected scanner and that has problems if I have used the modem. The problems don't happen after a reboot until I use the modem. The loss of the sounds associated with Windows functions do not happen as soon as the modem is started but after some time using the modem. My system is a 1.85 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP with 512 Megabytes Installed Memory. The operating system is Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4. I may try calling Dynex.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
If I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds like all of the usb ports get hosed up when you use the modem. That sounds like an irq or address conflict.

This idea is kind of a shot in the dark. You might want to buy a usb card and install it. Perhaps a different irq or addrss will be assigned to break the conflict. Move it to a different pci slot if need be.

I'd be interested in knowing what solves this problem....

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Looks like my reply pertains more to jmd8421r.......

lovetour

lovetour

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't have this modem, but was just searcvhing for info on it online, as it is part of an ebay auction I'm bidding on... you might try updating the driver to the latest.

This modem uses the Intel 536EP chipset, and the latest driver can be had here:

http://www.intel.com...ducts/536ep.htm

More info, including where to get Modem On Hold software for this modem (Dynex does not include it), can be found here:

http://www.modemhelp...3?threadid=2477

Asa

jmd8421r

jmd8421r

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried to update the driver, but windows kept pointing to another even when I specified the location. The current driver is 6.0.7.0 from CXT.

The irq 20 where the USB controller is located has a lot of stuff.

20 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
20 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
20 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
20 NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter
20 NVIDIA® nForce™ Audio Codec Interface

I am not sure how to move any of these items to another IRQ.