Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ummm...Question for Admin

• Please log in to reply

Rockett

Rockett

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if I'm allowed to post links to free software (NOT pirated) that other users can use. (I don't want to get in trouble :tazz: )

Thanks,

Rockett

Edited by Rockett, 17 September 2005 - 08:17 PM.

Advertisements

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Has it got anything to do with helping Malware or is it related to computers may I ask ?

Rockett

Rockett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Web design, web hosting, etc.

Rockett

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I'd like to see your links. As long as it's not illegal or not "family friendly", I don't think G2G has a problem with it.

Johanna

Rockett

Rockett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Ok, here they are:

Abyss Webserver Software
This software allows you to host HTML pages and files on your PC for other users of the internet to see. Ports are selectable, and it is user friendly.

Free DNS hosting
This allows you to have a .com subdomain that directs to your computer if you dont have a static IP address. This would allow you to host files and HTML pages my giving someone a you.whatever.com address. You can have at least 2 subdomains and IPs per account.

Updater for free DNS
If your IP changes, this software automatically updates your you.whatever.com address. The timing is selectable.

Core FTP LE
An FTP program that allows you upload files to OTHER hosts (not your own computer). It is relatively easy to use, and does a pretty good job.

100webspace.com
If you're just starting out, this is a great host. They offer PHP, MySQL, Perl, and I think also offer SSL (not too sure about that though). It DOES have banners at the top, but if you're just starting out, that won't really bother too much.

Postnuke WCM
Postnuke is a Web Content Manager. Rather than having to edit the entire HTML page of your site, you simply update "blocks and modules" to add the information onto your site. A tutorial on the setup of Postnuke is located HERE. I will be working on a "Using Postnuke" tutorial soon. Examples of Postnuke sites are Here and here

Themes for Postnuke
Themes are how you change the overall look of your website in Postnuke. As you can see, there are many to choose from. simply change the banner picture of the theme and you're on your way. Many styles and colors to choose from. When changing the theme of a PN site, upload it to the "themes/" directory where you have PN installed, then simply change the theme in the administration "Settings" area.

TeamSpeak VoN software
I will use this to "chat" with people while I help them. There is NO!! malware attached and it's free to use. (Unless you charge others for using the service installed on our computer)

All of the software I have listed here is availible free of charge. I would tell you that these people DO appreciate those of us who donate (even a LITTLE) to the cause. Every little bit helps, so if ya can, feel free. (DEFINATELY not saying you HAVE TO!) Just as those who offer help in these G2G forums prolly feel the same way if ya send a bit their way, too!! :tazz:

I hope this helps someone, I've spent COUNTLESS hours sitting at my computer looking for the "right software" to do the "right job" and these are some of the ones that seem to work the best.

Rockett

Edited by Rockett, 19 September 2005 - 05:47 PM.

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Nice Links Especially the 100webspace ! Im going to try it !

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
I like these lniks! Thanks

Rockett

Rockett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
No problem! If there's something that you're looking for, just ask, chances are I've looked for it, too.

Rockett

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Well I Was Looking for something.

Is there anything that makes technical looking site templates ?

Rockett

Rockett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Yes, but it's not freebie...I use Macromedia DreamWeaver MX. (I can't afford to buy 2004) If you need help, I'll help you out if I can.

Rockett

Rockett

Rockett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I added the teamspeak link to it, It's a chat software...LOTS cheaper to talk to people overseas than the phone company :tazz:

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Yes, but it's not freebie...I use Macromedia DreamWeaver MX. (I can't afford to buy 2004) If you need help, I'll help you out if I can.

Rockett

View Post

Thanks So How do i make one for free or is it impossible because i was looking for a computing based sitre template.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Try these sites:
freewebtemplates.com - most layouts come with jpg's and html files, you don't need any program to use these.
Elated - also comes with jpg's and html files
TemplatesBox - comes in psd's, you need photoshop.

They all offer free layouts

Edited by lil_cat_luver, 21 September 2005 - 06:37 PM.

cheseball

cheseball

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
i got a web site that makes forums and its easy and free all you really have to do is register and choose a skin(or stay with the orignal) and thats about all. And of here is the website www.dot.tk/

Rockett

Rockett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I thought dot.tk was just a redirect service. hmmmmmm

Interesting. I like co.nr better for redirection. Just need a lil pic at the bottom of your page instead of a popup or installed "toolbar"

Rockett