Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stopping Setup

• Please log in to reply

Jim Kiser

Jim Kiser

• Pip
  • 3 posts
A friend had a XP Pro machine that was overcome with Spyware and Adware. I cleaned most of it up but the last thing I did was boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt to delete some files that couldn't be deleted in normal mode. I don't remember what these file were so I may have made a mistake. I shutdown getting ready to boot normally and while it was down I unplugged a thumb drive. :)

When I rebooted I got a blue screen saying some hardware was bad, I rebooted in safe mode and tried to figure out what broke but I couldn't find the problem. So I got a bright idea. :tazz: I booted from an installation CD and got to the point where it asked if I wanted to install a new copy or repair an existing one so I chose repair. When setup tried to reboot it got the blue screen but it didn't halt it immediately rebooted in an infinite loop. I was able to press F8 to try and boot into safe mode but I get a message that Setup can't run in safe mode. :)

I rebooted from the CD and choose the repair console but I am not sure what to do to stop setup from trying to run or for diagnosing the blue screen.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please explain them in detail since at this point I am feeling like I may have completely screwed my friend and if I can fix it I want to get right without making it worse.

Edited by Jim Kiser, 17 September 2005 - 07:01 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is what you should see when repairing XP

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey Jim Kiser,

Since you can't seem to get a REPAIR installation of XP to work because of the BSOD, I suggest you go back to the RECOVERY CONSOLE and type in the following items seperately.
  • chkdsk /p /r <-- This will take awhile so be patient
  • fixboot
  • bootcfg /rebuild
  • You can also do 'fixmbr' but don't do this until after you've done the last 3 and nothing has changed.
Good luck! Let us know in this thread how things are (or aren't) going.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 17 September 2005 - 07:10 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Also before typing EXIT to exit the recovery console and reboot your computer, take out the XP CD.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Also, like you said, some of the hardware may be bad. I suggest you turn off your computer, take out all the PCI/AGP cards (only take out the AGP card if there is another spot for the monitor cable to connect to). Unplug all printers/cameras/etc.. in usb ports. If you are using USB mouse or keyboard, make sure USB legacy support is enabled in the BIOS for these or else Windows XP setup won't know how to use them and that could cause a BSOD. Best thing is to use a PS/2 mouse and keyboard when installing XP to minimize any problems. K.I.S.S. applies most definitely to windows installations, regardless of the OS version :tazz:

Please try what I say in this post first before doing the other things I said to do in the recovery console.

Edited by Fenor, 17 September 2005 - 07:14 PM.

Jim Kiser

Jim Kiser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Also before typing EXIT to exit the recovery console and reboot your computer, take out the XP CD.

View Post

I found this out the hard way during my first series of attempts. :tazz:

At this point I can't boot without the BSoD so I'll start removing cards tomorrow morning. I was hoping for a way to override setup running when I boot in safe mode.

Thanks for help so far. I'll keep you updated. :)