Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Purchasing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovemm

o2mcgovemm

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,
I need help buying Windows XP. I've found it for £25 on EuroPc (http://www.europc.co...ProductID=19173), but it's 'Volume Licensing'. It allows you to buy just one though.

I'm a little confused. Can I just buy one copy and install it on my laptop, or will I have to pay extra for a license or something like that. (I'm a student who can't afford the Education Grant Windows XP Thingy).

:tazz:

Your Help Is Much Apprieciated[sp].
Michael.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you have a laptop already then you must have another version of windows installed on your machine, like Windows 2000. If you still have the Windows 2000 Cd that came with your machine, then you will be able to buy a windows XP Upgrade CD which will be alot cheaper then having to buy a full fledged stand-alone version.

Fenor

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello and welcome to GeeksToGo! :tazz:

The volume licensing program is designed for corporate, government, and academic customers with 250 or more desktops.

The site isn't trying to sell one copy at a time...rather, that is the cost per each if you buy in large quantity. And if they are willing to sell only one...then it most likely isn't quite "legal".

Edited by ~Kat~, 17 September 2005 - 10:48 PM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
May I suggest to buy them from Microsoft, at least you know that you will be safe with the product that you get and that it will be a legal copy.

Edited by Tony_1983, 17 September 2005 - 11:20 PM.

o2mcgovemm

o2mcgovemm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
So, :tazz: Buying just one won't work?

( :) and thanks for the warm welcome to 'geeks to go' ~Kat~!)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should look at the differences between XP Home and XP Pro to see if XP Pro is essential

http://www.microsoft...ns/default.mspx

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

So, :tazz: Buying just one won't work?

( :) and thanks for the warm welcome to 'geeks to go' ~Kat~!)

View Post

I think what Kat was trying to say is that it seems a bit fishy. Typically, it's not possible to buy a single copy of a "volume" license... it's just definitionally wrong. (I'm not sure if "definitionally" is a word, but if it isn't, it should be).

If I were buying another copy of XP, I'd make sure it was from a store (online or brick and mortar). That way, you can avoid the fakes. Best advise is to save up and buy the student copy of XP... it's probably the best deal you're going to find.

Also, you can go to Pricewatch and see if you can locate a copy there. Sometimes you can run into a good deal.

o2mcgovemm

o2mcgovemm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ah, okay.
I found this on the Microsoft volume licensing page. It says that you can apply for 5 licenses. If I was to be able to get 4 mates to buy the XP from that website, would that be legal?

(I really, really don't understand- and all the website's i've looked on don't seem to address the issue)

'Open License
Customer size: Customers needing as few as five licenses
Customer types: Corporate, Academic, Charity, Government'

Microsoft Volume Licensing

oh, and thanks for the pricewatch link Guse.

o2mcgovemm

o2mcgovemm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Would I be able to buy and install an OEM version of Windows XP?

Website With OEM Version of XP

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I can't imagine why that would be a problem...

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Not exactly the same... From MS:
Large PC Manufacturers known as Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) have the ability to pre-activate Microsoft® Windows XP software installed on new PCs. As a result, end users are typically not required to activate the software during the set up process by typing in the product key found on the Certificate of Authenticity attached to the PC (COA Key).

In order to reduce a significant source of piracy, Microsoft has disabled online activation for COA Keys that are attached to PCs that have been pre-activated by OEMs.

more here:
http://www.microsoft...y/oempreac.mspx

Johanna

o2mcgovemm

o2mcgovemm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Would you recommend[sp] I go for the OEM version?

Also, would the website I buy the OEM Version from be the people who pre-activate my version of Windows?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need to check what the position is if you need to format later, will they supply a copy of the product key

The difference between getting an OEM XP Disc and the way you want to go is 25 quid, divide the cost of the PC by 25 quid and I bet it isn't a high percentage, then consider downtime while you try to get hold of anyone if there is a problem with the disc

Long term, it is better to get a disc which you can use to repair or reload the OS

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I agree with Keith. Since you are going to spend the money anyway, get a real XP cd.

Johanna

o2mcgovemm

o2mcgovemm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay, thanks for giving me some things to think about.

More on the OEM thing. I've got a desktop computer which is running Windows XP Home which we ordered directly from Fujitsu-Siemens. It came with an XP OEM CD, for recovery. Would I be able to use that OEM CD to install Windows XP on my laptop (would it work?)?