Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Radeon 9800 Pro Problems

• Please log in to reply

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
yea, thats what i figured. IF anyone finds a definite solution please help me!

funny thing is, i pulled the card from a 1500+ athlon xp where it was working perfectly (i actually felt the card wasnt being used to its full potential so i pulled it). i upgraded the board, processor, and ram speed and now its having all the problems. does that make any sense?

oh and that power shortage mode myth results from a reaction of the gfx distortion. after the 3d acceleration completely gives out, and the game ure playing freezes ure monitor? or gfx card goes into something called "power save mode"... you shouldnt rule out a lack of power. However there was no need to upgrade your power supply. i have alot of extra crap running on my computer (extra fans, and little display lights)... off a 450 watt psu i dc'ed a couple of the ones i could spare. still have the same problem. as far as im concerned the psu is not an issue (although for some ppl it may be)

maybe there is some thing restricting power within the circuits of these gfx cards?

For those of you just tuning in to this problem

1. unless ure running a 486, upgrading ure processor wont do anyhting
2. it isnt a driver issue (im almost 100% sure)
3. if you think your power supply is more than sufficient it probably is (im running 420watts)
4. not running enough ram? i got the bsod several times today... i forgot what i did to let that happen. i think it was after i disabled the secondar driver... if you have at least 512mb im sure that its fine. just make sure the drivers are installed correctly

hope that helps some.

asfnlkajflnsfafa. i think im gonna go geforce from now on. nonetheless i still have this one, so help me if you can.
thx

Kalian

Advertisements

bLuE_oMeGa

bLuE_oMeGa

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I think that if you do have a 486 it might be time for a decent upgrade ^^

well, I checked with the manufacturer and they acknowledge the problem, but they say that there isn't one solution to fix all errors. It's got something to do with an incompatibility issue. I then ask myself how it's possible that in a similar system my card works fine. I wonder how, I wonder why :tazz:

keeping you guys posted if I find a solution

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
well... i just tried setting the agp slot to read at 4x.

its a slight downgrade in performance and quality but it seems to do the trick.

Its a perfect temporary solution until the geniuses at ati can come up with something more permanent and efficient.

thanks blue for the input.
please do keep us posted. as for now im done and will settle with the watered down deccelerated graphics as long as my wc3 and css will play ^_^

V3rd

V3rd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well, I have the same problem, obviously. I never get the error in windows, just when I'm playing World of Warcraft. I'm upgrading my RAM because I know nothing else could be the problem, it's all new. When I changed it to 4x, I started getting the error outside the game as well, so that definitely didn't help me. I just want to play WoW, I get kicked out so many times, but i'm so obsessed I keep logging back in. Any other solutions? 4x speed and secondary disabling didn't work for me. (WoW - Archimionde Server; Name = Verdana)

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
hmmm well i have a theory both ur cards use the ati 9800 chipset so possible incompatibility features and i notice that 1 of u are using an asus mobo i had a similar problem but not with ati it was with a geforce 6600 pro anyway i updated my motherboards bios and that worked a treat not a porblem since, another thing to consider would be either to repair windows or if worste comes to worst try a fresh copy this can sometimes cure these problems that have no rhyme or reason for accuring. hope this helps.

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
yea, the secondary driver solution was jes a buncha crap ^_^.

try updating to the omega drivers found at driverheaven.net

then after installing the right drivers, decrease the agp speed to 4x.

turn off vertical sync. make the default gaming settings run in open gl.

lean the card toward performance over quality

decrease the hardware acceleration by 1 or 2 notches

and disable combo writing.

i do warn you that you are sacrificing quite a bit of performance and quality by doing all this. this is only a temporarily solution until a more permanent one is available.

i think it might actually be a overheating problem not necesarrily on the motherboard but jes on the gfx chip itself. I don't really wanna tamper with the factory installed fan...

as for the rebooting windows thats definitely a no. doing this does not solve the problem. so dont do it (unless you have a faulty driver, but then you should jes boot into safemode and reinstall the proper driver). ive encountered this problem for the second time, with two completely different cards (9600aiw, and a 9800pro). i want to claim its a driver issue, but the vast majority of ati 9xxx series jes dont seem to be having this problem. its jes da unlucky few of us.

i understand where people have been getting the conclusion that there is a lack of power being supplied to the card and/or that gfx cards fan wasnt acting sufficient enough to offer enough cooling for the gfx card. (alot of times, including myself, ppl were able to decrease the hardware acceleration, and agp slot speed, which also decreases power . its a belief that the decrease of power consumption is no coincidence)

if you trouble shoot the situation ureself and a lack of power is the case, dont worry about your psu. ive heard several stories of ppl swapping them out, but usually the psu you have is sufficient enough (unless your running in led fan /cathode heaven). if power is an issue i'm guessing its behind the circuity of the card itself.
if you do ure research on the situation on some other forum, you may find that some people actually swapped the factory fan mounted on their precious gfx cards and actually were able to get their cards to run efficiently.

one reason why im very skeptical about doing this is because when i examine the setup with the pc running, the factory gfx fan setup seems to be run normal.. theres no reason for me to believe that the fan has gone bad... it may be that the circuitry behind the card may have something restricting power, therefor decreasing the fan speed, but unless ATI comes out with some kind of monitoring or testing software besides the stupid 3d accelerator test that the card always seems to pass, we're kinda left in the shadows.

actually. im not sure. if anyone knows anything about gfx card monitoring software that provides the rpm of the gfx card fan, and the factory recommended settings to show whether or not the card is running at factory recommended speeds then please do let me know. i am embarassed to say i never even bothered looking that up ^_^

oh and i am running a asus k8 matx setup for my 9600aiw. i got the board when it was fairly new (it came out around october). nonetheless ill update the bios if an update is available and see if that helps any.

sorry for not keeping you guys posted like i said i was. i havent really been gaming much anyways. nonetheless, ill keep you guys posted within the week.

good luck on ure guys ati gaming experience.
Kalian

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i guess it couldnt hurt to try reparing windows, or updating bios. it probably does more good than harm anyways

thx one for the suggestion

Hulango

Hulango

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem as described above, I tried any combination of driver, directx, and anything I could think of before buying anything else for my computer or messing with the bios. I looked around here and someone said something about turning something 8x off, so I looked in the ATI Catalyst Control Centre and in the SMARTGUARD menu there is the option to turn the AGP 8x completely off. So I tried it, and it worked like a charm. I hope this helps

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
eh? turn off the graphics accelerator completely?

were you still able to play full screen 3d accelerated games?

well there seems to be a billion solutions that dont work to the same problem. i guess it wouldnt hurt to try.

ill let you guys know how that goes as well
Kalian

blobsta

blobsta

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have the same problem with the ati 9800 pro 128meg

catalist says it's ok @ 4X or 8X but play any 3D game and it freezes after 20 or so seconds :)

I am slowly working through all these sugestions but to no avail i just turned it down to 4X no sideband write no VPU recover and tiger woods 2004 froze after 20 seconds :tazz: ;)

Any ideas ;)

Edited by blobsta, 13 April 2005 - 01:16 PM.

Advertisements

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have heard from many different ATI owners that a re-format and install was the final solution to their woes ....... so it might be worth a try before throwing it down the stairs.

Drivercleaner also needs to be used carefully, and exactly as per instructions or it can cause problems that result in an eventual re-format as well, been there..... :tazz:

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i am beginning to believe that it is a cooling issue.

im going to see if i can find some aftermarket heatsink and see if that helps any. actually i already found one and i will try it out. if it works i'll let you guys know.

oh and the bios update and windows repair didnt help none... so dont even bother trying it if you havent yet.

alright well ill get back to you guys when i can
Kalian

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i am an ati owner and a victim of several reformats already.

no more for me. unless any other one of my brothers want to share a success story with me. then maybe id consider becoming a convert.

^_^

blobsta

blobsta

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah i flashed my bios and updated the motherboard chipset drivers and nothing

My ATI 9800 pro is from HIS and has a big fookoff heat exhaust attached with high/low fan settings :) pity it aint got anything to do ;)

The only thing i have not done is a fresh copy of XP then start again :)

I really can't be arsed with all that i have two OS's on this disk because i got that system file corrupt after we had a powercut :)

So if 1 OS cacks itself i boot the other and fix the other ;)

XP and this AGP problem have been really pissing me off :) but i will keep plugging away until the AGP works with 8X :tazz: :)

Edited by blobsta, 13 April 2005 - 01:25 PM.

mikeintx

mikeintx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having the same issues as everyone else here, but with a Radeon 9700 pro
card built by ATI. I've had it for a couple of years with "0" problems until about 3 weeks ago. I first thought it was a driver issue so i've upgaded to the newest
drivers twice now to no avail! It first seemed to happen after i installed MS SQL server but i have disabled it and still it reboots or returns to the desktop. I have been running this card on 2 HDD's for 2 years with no issues at 8X speed. If i boot to the second HD i have no problems with the card at all. The driver version installed on it is 6.14.10.6396 so i'm thinking that this is a combination of incompatibilty between some other software and the cat driver.