Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Radeon 9800 Pro Problems

• Please log in to reply

blobsta

blobsta

• Pip
  • 9 posts
:)

OMG i have just found my PSU is 260W :tazz:

I dont even know if thats input or output ;)

either way it's very bad :) :)

Just ordered
akasa 460W PSU
akasa Carnival CPU Cooler XP3400+

good reviews ;)

Advertisements

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i installed arctic cooling rev.3 gpu fan.
i was able to bring up hardware acceleration all the way and run at 32bits.

i tried setting the agp back to 8x but no luck... still crapped out. nonetheless the fan did helped alot and i definitely recommend the upgrade for it allowed me to bring up the cards settings. if ure still having that graphics distortion and the power is connected straight, and if you've tried the solutions suggestd in the past 45 posts, i think its safe to say that the core on ure gfx card is burning up, (due to extensive load on the gpu during 3d gaming, and poor case ventilation). if thats the case, i recommend an aftermarket gpu fan. (the one i have arctic cooling, is pretty [bleep] good for its price).

installation was fairly easy (although a little messy and scary, considering the fact that i was fidgetining around with a piece of fragile hardware that cost a pretty penny)

yes, yes, but anyhows make sure your case has plenty of ventilation as well.

im not really an extreme hardware guru (i could care less about 3dmark tests, precise temp readings to the decimal, and proper oc procedures and/or anything of the like), but i did enough research on the rev.3 fan to find thats it performs better and quieter than the oem ati heatsinks.

jes look it up and you'll find at least half a dozen websites that did temperature tests, during different stages and loads put on cards with before and after...

aights well i hope this helped you guys some
this may possibly the answer to ure guys problems

Good luck with ure guys' cards, but for me... i think im going geforce from now on ^_^

Kalian

lucas86

lucas86

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello.

The problem you are having is caused by your motherboard (Asus A7V8X-X).

I have this same mobo, and was thinking about buying an ATi Radeon 9800 PRO, when people advised me not too, since this mother board does not function well with ATi's (freezing, leaving games, all you´ve mentioned).

But one other person told me this problem can be solved by updating the BIOS of your Asus A7V8X-X.

I have not bought my new video card yet, so I didn´t test that.

But I think you should give it a try.

Good luck!

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
actually the motherboard wasnt a problem at all.
im actually running an ecs one, where the 9800pro is (it was a bargain deal, and hasnt failed me yet).

if you disable smart gear (agp acceleration thru the ati software) then the the problem virtually disappears, with no reboots or gfx distortion. though there is a sacrifice of performance.
also a new after market fan would be really good, and if you wanted to invest the money, a liquid cooling system would offer the best optimized cooling.

the setup as it is now is pretty good with no problems at all, so as far as im concerned problem solved. ^_^

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Kalian wrote "if you disable smart gear (agp acceleration thru the ati software) then the the problem virtually disappears, with no reboots or gfx distortion. though there is a sacrifice of performance.
also a new after market fan would be really good, and if you wanted to invest the money, a liquid cooling system would offer the best optimized cooling........
the setup as it is now is pretty good with no problems at all, so as far as im concerned problem solved."

I wouldn't consider this a resolution. Disabling AGP support and having to water cool a graphics card is more of a disaster.

PicoTTo

PicoTTo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi All.

I stumbled across this forum when i googled my problem, i have also posted my problem on PC Advisor Forum

http://www.pcadvisor...93396&forumid=1

and a second thread:-

http://www.pcadvisor...91855&forumid=1

There both kind of similar threads but i found no solution, like all you and other threads i have come across.

I have literally tried everything, not only do i get the VPU error, my screen is all garbled i.e pinkish shadows on screen which makes any game unplayable, and is even there when im simply just on the desktop.

The funny thing is with my g.card in and no driver installed i dont get the garbled screens and looks fine but obviously can not play games as no drivers installed.

When i install the drivers (which ive tried hundreds of) it all goes [bleep] from there. Ive even tried the original drivers which came with the card.

Is this just ATI card problems? i dont know any one with Nvidia drivers that have any of these problems.

So am joining this clan, 1 more pissed off person to add to this forum, ive been pissing about with this aswell now for well over a week. :tazz:

Cheers ;)

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
have you tried the omega drivers?

make sure that the 4 pins in the power connector arent damaged.

and make sure you have a sufficient amount of power goign to your card. most people with gfx distortion comes from gaming, after the additional load (from the 3d gfx accelerator) is put on the card.

with minimal load (non gaming no drivers) then the card shouldnt have a problem at all.

you should see if you can test the card on another pc, and see if you're having the same problems. you can get the drivers from

www.omegadrivers.net

good luck
Kalian

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

I wouldn't consider this a resolution. Disabling AGP support and having to water cool a graphics card is more of a disaster.

View Post

actually, it was an either or solution.

if you disable the smartgear agp support, then the bios of the mainboard automatically detects the card and sets the speeds accordingly. I guess in theory the system only puts as much of a load on the card as the card can handle (that or the ati oem setting is defectively set too high for some cards). this is a solution for any ati user with this problem whose been suffering with some minor gfx distortion even though they have the latest drivers and bios for their card. it worked for me, and on top of that i didnt sacrifice much performance or quality (i have my smartgear set to 4x, but if that doesnt work, you can try disabling it like someone else had posted earlier on this same thread, which worked for him as well).

obviously if this solution had worked, then there is no logical need for the water cooling. but if that didnt work, then an advanced cooling system was my next recommended action. I said water cooling for the best results (as ive read but have never tried), but even an ati arctic cooling fan, offers better results than the OEM one.

PicoTTo

PicoTTo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

have you tried the omega drivers?

most people with gfx distortion comes from gaming, after the additional load (from the 3d gfx accelerator) is put on the card.

with minimal load (non gaming no drivers) then the card shouldnt have a problem at all.

you should see if you can test the card on another pc, and see if you're having the same problems. you can get the drivers from

www.omegadrivers.net

good luck
Kalian

View Post

Thanks Kalian,

I will try the omega drivers now and will update, i cant try my card on another comp as my mates dont have AGP slot in there comps!

Cheers

PicoTTo

PicoTTo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ive tried the Omega drivers but still the same, before i installed i used Driver Clean to uninstall any previous drivers etc and still no joy.

I get a strong feeling my motherboard is f*****

:tazz:

Advertisements

blobsta

blobsta

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Ive tried the Omega drivers but still the same, before i installed i used Driver Clean to uninstall any previous drivers etc and still no joy.

I get a strong feeling my motherboard is f*****
:)

View Post

Im haveing the same problems as you with my 9800 pro the motherboard is a Leadtek K7NCR18D-Pro we did have a powercut a few months ago and i got the "windows/system32/config/system is corrupt" blah blah..

Then i upgraded my card from 9500 to this ATI 9800 pro got a bigger 460W PSU more ram and i can't seem to find a set of reliable drivers for it :)

ati SMARTGART tests and says the card is ok to run X4 or X8 so i don't think it's the card as i am back on the normal VGA driver and the screen had not had a problem for days :)

When i load a driver for the card it either

(i) freezes ;)
(ii) displays wierd multicoloured screen mish mash and freezes ;)
(iii) just goes into DVI power saving mode like ive turned the monitor off! :)
(iiii) Or reboots the PC :)

It's always the display driver with the problem ive tried 3.5/3.9/4.11 and 5.4 (latest) from ATI to no avail also the latest omega :)

I'm thinking of getting a small extra HDD to do some testing on :tazz:

Edited by blobsta, 23 April 2005 - 11:09 AM.

PicoTTo

PicoTTo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

When i load a driver for the card it either

(i) freezes  :tazz:
(ii) displays wierd multicoloured screen mish mash and freezes  ;)
(iii) just goes into DVI power saving mode like ive turned the monitor off!  :)
(iiii) Or reboots the PC  :) 

It's always the display driver with the problem ive tried 3.5/3.9/4.11 and 5.4 (latest) from ATI to no avail also the latest omega  ;)

View Post

Yeah same with me especially number 2 of your problems.
I have even reinstalled my computer.
I have 450 wat power supply and to be honest dont know why people keep suggesting that cus before i had this i had a 350 watt supply and worked fine and i upgraded to 450 just for the [bleep] of it, but my problem has risen in the last 2 weeks, the previous 6-8months were fine. i cant understand why its All of a sudden when i have changed nothing.

I just wish i knew what the problem was else id never turn my pc on again untill i got a new mother board or g.card for example, instead i spend hours on end till the early morning getting pissed off.

Sorry guys for the attitude, but im very vexed with my comp ahh

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Hey everybody, I am just wondering how many of you are overclocking "anything" in your systems? That can definitely cause problems if not done correctly. Also try making sure the power plugged into the card from the PSU doesn't have a bunch of things plugged inline before the power gets to the vid card. Just a few thoughts, may or may not help. I'll keep an eye on this for ya :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

PicoTTo

PicoTTo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Cheers Johnny,

I am not overclocking anything and just have the one wire going into my card.

:tazz:

Alireza

Alireza

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi my freades,

I have the same proble and read all the thread. I have an Athlon XP 2000 + Radeon 128 Mb graphic card.

My system in new (I built it yesterday)

The problem occured twice :

After installing Windows XP, I used the mother board's CD ROM and installed the AGP specific dirvers ... I got just after all the symptoms.

I formatted the entire disk and re-installed Win XP. Every thing was finctionning very well (I didin't install the monter board's AGP drivers).

I updated Windows XP and installed the SP 2. The problem occured just after the reboot. It has something to do with SP 2. I downloaded the last drivers form the ATI site, but it didn't solved the problem.

I'm almost sure that the problem has something to do with the AGP driver.

Please let us know if you have any clue.

Cheers