Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Routers and stupidity

• Please log in to reply

mikhaelwallace

mikhaelwallace

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
This is probably a rather silly question, but if one would happen to have more computers than a standard home router would have ports for, could you just buy another router and plug it into one of the ports on your existing router? and if so would it be just as easy for a wireless router? I attached a pic of what i am talking about. (a network diagram)

Attached Thumbnails

• NETWORK.JPG

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
yes, it is possible, depending on the router. The more clients you have the more complex the routing table becomes and a more sophisticated router is required. For the diagram you have attached, you are looking at a Cisco or Bay Networks router. Linksys, D-link, Belkin....won't cut it.

Based on your diagram though, you may want to have the computers connect to switches. Then connect the Switches through routers.

From an OS stand point, you'll need a Server edition. Workgroups only allow 10 connections.

Also, keep in mind the 5-4-3 rule of network design.

5 - the number of network segments
4 - the number of repeaters needed to join the segments into one collision domain
3 - the number of network segments that have active (transmitting) devices attached

Edited by brianmil0923, 18 September 2005 - 01:33 AM.

mikhaelwallace

mikhaelwallace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
well i am glad that it can be done (dont plan it to be that large I just thought I would see if somthing that crazy was possible.) though the rest of your post i must admit the eyes rolled back in my head on. a bit over my head. so I will probably ask my but who is network certified to set it up if i need somthing that complex

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Its not practical to plug every workstation into a router, you should use hubs or switches, then plug into your router.