Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE-Spyad Issues

• Please log in to reply

FoggyDays

FoggyDays

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I recently installed Ie-spyad, as one measure to improve security after battling antispyware/winfixer probs.

After getting my own machine clean/running properly, I turned to the family machine and implemented several new programs (spyguard/spyblaster/ie-spyad/cleanup, to name a few)
On this family machine I installed iespyad2- which was reccomended for computers with multiple users.

My daughter can not access MYSPACE.com now

I assumed it was in the restricted directory. This is on the multiple user computer, btw. I looked the sites over in the restricted directory thoroughly. Forward and backward, and again- to no avail, myspace.com is NOT there. I fiddled with the settings and could not figure out how to allow access, despite my best efforts.

What is odd-- in looking at the director of restricted sites on my computer (also installed with ie-spyad, the original version, not the spyad2) I FOUND myspace.com listed in the restriced sites! So the same exact file lists myspace.com on one computer, but not the other. What the heck?

I'm certain that myspace IS restricted but for some WIERD reason, on the family computer with multiple accounts- where we installed ie-spyad2.... myspace.com IS NOT shown in the directory, although there clearly is a red minus sign in a circle on the bottom right hand corner of the page when you go there indicating it is restricted.

So what gives? How do I find where it's listed, remove it, and allow access again to this site?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!! This site is a great resource!

Advertisements

Atribune

Atribune

HijackThis Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 956 posts
  • MVP
Hi Please open notepad then paste the line from the quotebox below into it.

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\myspace.com]

Save this file as fix.reg and save as type all files. Double click fix.reg and allow it to be merged to the registry.

Reboot and try to access myspace.com

Let me know if it works or not.

FoggyDays

FoggyDays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi! Thank you for the help.

All went well until after I clicked OK to allow the file to be merged with the registry.

Then I got a pop up message box that said:

ERROR
cannot import C:\DocumentsandSettings\Jennifer\MyDocuments\fix.reg: The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.

The only option was to click OK.

I copied the command and pasted it into notepad, saved it as fix.reg (all files) It did say ANSAI or something like that on a 3rd line, which I did not change in the save file as box.

Then I closed notepad. Opened My Computer/My Documents, found the file and double clicked it. Everything from that point went as expected until I got the error message.

Did I find the file correctly, and saving it in My Documents was correct? Or should I have saved it somewhere else? Not sure what to do now........ Thank you.

FoggyDays

FoggyDays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Oh, one more thing: in looking over the line you wanted me to copy/paste.... that did include the brackets, correct? I copied the whole thing including both [ ] at the begining and end of the command line.

Thank you.

FoggyDays

FoggyDays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just looked at notepad again as if I were going to do the fix.reg again-

The part I didn't know if I did correctly was the ENCODING choice which was another drop down box under all file types.

The choices were:
ANSI
Unicode
Unicode big endian
UTF-8

I did not change the default which was ANSI.

Was that a mistake and should one of the options have been chosen before saving?

Thank you.

Atribune

Atribune

HijackThis Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 956 posts
  • MVP
Heh oops my mistake not yours. Was still waking up when i posted. Do the same thing as before. But use this instead.

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\myspace.com]

FoggyDays

FoggyDays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Include the REGEDIT4 and everything in the brackets, including the brackets, in the copy/paste?

What about the coding? Leave it to the defualt ANSI?

Atribune

Atribune

HijackThis Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 956 posts
  • MVP
yeah everything in the quote box and the coding can stay as it is

FoggyDays

FoggyDays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
That worked! Thank you! :tazz:

May I ask: Would I use this same code for any future website problems that we might wish to remove from the restricted list? (if such an issue arrises?) Simply replacing myspace.com with the current webpage name we want to unblock?

And leave REGEDIT4 as well?

Thank you!!

FoggyDays

FoggyDays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
One more thing I meant to ask in the previous posting: Do you have any idea why myspace.com does NOT show in the restricted list of websites on the machine with multi-users, but it DOES show on the list on the single user machine? It's the same file that was installed...... so this issue is puzzling me!