Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help several errors. I have removed malware

• Please log in to reply

Arycama

Arycama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Will do

Advertisements

Arycama

Arycama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok i have done e x a c t l y what u said, and for a few days, no blue screens! w00t. But then i got one...saying the same thing. But now i have a new theory. We purchased norton antivirus shortly before buying our video card, and the microsoft error reporting thing says that one of the possible causes can be hard drive lag caused by antivirus programs

So now i think thats the problem.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Arycama...

To test your Norton theory, try this...

Open your Norton AV application and find the Options menu (it's different on every version so can guide you only generally). There should be a box (or button) to allow you to stop Norton from starting when you start your computer. Choose to NOT have it start, Apply the change and exit Norton. Reboot.

Note: You will have not AV running until you reverse the above step, so it would be advisable to not connect to the internet until Norton has been "turned back on".

If this resolves your issue, you may consider uninstalling the Norton product. NOTE: Before uninstalling Norton, please visit their support pages or post back for assistance with the removal...the uninstall can be very messy if not done properly.

wannabe1

Arycama

Arycama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well u see the thing about that is that we have broadband...so i cant really not connect to the internet, unless i pull out the cable. And most of the things i do are online. So i dont really just wanna leave it on, waiting for it to crash. Every time i have done a norton scan, it gets like roughly half way or something, then...blue screen!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Arycama....

You might download AVAST Home Edidtion and install it for the duration of your test. It's effective, free, easy to remove, and I haven't run into any issues with it. Once downloaded, Shut the Norton off as described in the earlier post and then install the Avast and update it. At the end of your test, you can uninstall it and re-enable the Norton if you wish.

wannabe1

Arycama

Arycama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
k

Arycama

Arycama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well so far, no blue screens. But something i found while checking out my device manager stuff for any faulty devices, i found an option in the disk drive properties when i clicked on the policies tab, there is an option which says "enable write caching on the disk" and it was checked. It says "This setting enables write caching on this disk for better performance, but a power outage or equipment failure could result in data loss or corruption." i was wondering maybee this could have something to do with it. Should i uncheck it and see how it goes?

By the way incase u need 2 know, my hard disk type is WDC WD800BB-00FRA0

Edited by Arycama, 05 October 2005 - 09:15 PM.