Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

external hard drive problems

• Please log in to reply

deano3433

deano3433

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello there, i was wondering if someone may be able to enlighten me. I have bought an external hard drive and was thinking i may be able to also use this drive to store all my cds on rather than carry them around.
I have tried repeatedly to place them on the hard drive via windows media player.
I have my media player on my cd drive. I copied that to my external drive and placed a shortcut on my desktop. then tried to rip a few cds.
Problem so far has been every song i rip to my external hard drive also places a copy on my c drive. I delete the song on the c drive and it deletes it on my external drive??? My c drive is almost full up.
Am i forced to delete the media player from my c drive first?
Would appreciate any advice you can give me.
Thanks, Dean

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi deano3432!

Why aren't you just using Windows Media Player 10 and ripping the music from the CD onto your external hard drive? WMP10 allows you to rip songs from a CD in MP3 format. Of course this all only applies if your information is set correctly and you are using XP as you have stated for your Operating System.

You can select the place WMP10 rips files to by click on TOOLS and then OPTIONS and then clicking on the RIP MUSIC tab, then click the CHANGE button under 'Rip Music To This Location.' Select your external hard drive, click OK and you are set to start ripping your songs to your external hard drive.

Fenor

deano3433

deano3433

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Fenor for your advice.
I will give that a go and let you know.
Regards, Dean

deano3433

deano3433

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yep, that worked fine Fenor,
I just hadnt configured things right. In fact i hadnt expanded the media player window and so wasnt even seeing the tools option. Duhhh!
Anyway alls good now and thankyou again.
regards, Deano