Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to XP Professional

• Please log in to reply

Grindesk

Grindesk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good Morning - first time user here.

My 75 year old, uneducated Father in MI is trying to upgrad to XP professional so I can dial into his computer from TX. He is doing VERY WELL for an old guy!!

It was loading fine until (at aprox 34 minutes to go) it stopped at a window that says:

"files needed. the file, igfxext.exe on intel® excelerator drive is needed"

It gives him the option to type the path in (I have no idea what to tell him) or it says to copy from DA or C....

Can you tell me what to tell him?

Thank you SO MUCH :

Edited by Grindesk, 18 September 2005 - 06:53 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If he cannot get it from C: then ask him to skip the file as you will be able to install this when Windows is on

Information On igfxext.exe
Used by Media Player on Preloading for _some_ video clips. Tricky Dicky
11/10/2004 10:52:44
to reinstall graphic adapter MMa
04/11/2004 14:37:54
Anything for the intel ® 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller --> Provited by Intel Andy
10/11/2004 23:28:22
a a
16/11/2004 09:58:13
can be terminated safely when processor load or memory consumption skyrockets for some obscure reason.

dan4500

dan4500

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I ran into thhis problem too. I went to another Dell and copied the entire contents of the System32 folder (350 mb) to a CD. It will keep asking for Intel files if you just feed it igfxext.exe. On the second try, it accepted CD and copied the files. All of the files beginning with ig are the Intel files Windows wants, but just to be on the safe side, I copied all of them. Curse Dell for not including these files anywhere on their disks.