Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unneccessary background processes

• Please log in to reply

kidavi

kidavi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
MS Windows has a lot of unneccessary background processes, as most people know. i've been having problems with a particular goodie from Veritas called sgtray.exe, which likes to crap out every time i try to shut down.

there are a few programs out to manage this type of thing, one of which is WinTasks. i was curious as to whether anyone knows if this sort of software is actually useful/helpful in increasing performance of a system.

my computer is a few years old, and it's had its share of problems, but overall i have few complaints; however, performance has decreased, and although i clean it regularly, defrag it frequently, and run anti-virus software every few days, it doesn't seem to help bring it back up to speed.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Viruses really aren't what you should be worried about nowadays, it's more spyware and adware (also called malware) that you should be worried about. Check out the Malware Forums, especially reading the START HERE. It will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
As for removing the sgtray from starting up, go to START-->RUN and type in MSCONFIG. Then click on the STARTUP tab and uncheck the box that refers to SGTRAY. Click apply and ok and you will be asked to reboot. Reboot your computer and sgtray.exe will be gone.

Fenor

kidavi

kidavi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i'm not worried about viruses or malware either, i've already dealt with several trojans and worms with no serious problems. i'm talking about unneccessary background processes slowing the computer down, which are not malicious, they're just... well, unneccessary.

i used WinTasks to remove sgtray now, but thank you. i do know how to use msconfig already, but i have to say, WinTasks is very helpful because it gives you a detailed description of each process. i think it's a handy tool, although whether it proves to be worth its salt or not is still up in the air. ^_^

Edited by kidavi, 18 September 2005 - 08:24 AM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Mike Lin's StartUpCPL will put a tab in your control panel that lets you set each process to start at boot, or not. It's free, and it works.
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Johanna