Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can you help

• Please log in to reply

rgjmlb

rgjmlb

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I purchased this used computer, it's a hewlett packard pavillion. I have had nothing but trouble since I turned it on, anywayit will not run the scandisk all the way through when it reaches cluster 669729 it freezes up the whole computer, I have left it run like that for several hours and it never thaws out.. how can i fix this problem......

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Hi rg. Welcome to GTG. :tazz:

Please delete your temporary files by deleting all files and folders that are in those folders (do not delete the temp folder itself) like for example
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\
C:\Temp\
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\
Also delete your Temporary Internet Files, be sure to also select delete all offline content.

Reboot into safe mode - lightly tap your F8 key when it begins to boot up and run scandisc and then defrag in safe mode.

rgjmlb

rgjmlb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi rg. Welcome to GTG.  :tazz:

Please delete your temporary files by deleting all files and folders that are in those folders (do not delete the temp folder itself) like for example
Also delete your Temporary Internet Files, be sure to also select delete all offline content.

Reboot into safe mode - lightly tap your F8 key when it begins to boot up and run scandisc and then defrag in safe mode.

View Post

rgjmlb

rgjmlb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi rg. Welcome to GTG.  :tazz:

View Post

I want to thank you for your help, but there was a problem it didn't let the scandisc go all the way through, when it reached the spot that it usually freezes up on it now has become a blue screen that has a warning message on it that said a fatal exception OD has occured at 0167:BFF91B99...... any help would be appreciated thanks

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis)

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide. Also see this post.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

rgjmlb

rgjmlb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have tried to download the hijack this tool and my computer came up with 2 error boxes the one on top said Error starting Program a required .dll fil, msvbvm60.dll was not found.
the second error box C:\windows\local\settings\temporaryinternetfiles\content.Ie5\mklwf4........ thanks for your help again......

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Read this:

http://www.idautomat...dll-errors.html

rgjmlb

rgjmlb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Read this:

http://www.idautomat...dll-errors.html

View Post

rgjmlb

rgjmlb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I would like to thank everyone who has helped me, I appreciate everything my computer is running so much better now. Your service is wonderful!! Your number one :tazz: with me........thank you again

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Did you want t o post a hijack this log?