Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

alt+tab

• Please log in to reply

wkirkland

wkirkland

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I play and online game and usually can hit alt+tab to toggle from game to desktop.
This is new built machine with 98 and xp on it. When I hit alt+tab now the game freezes up. I believe its missing something. Please help resolve this issue.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
So you're saying that alt-tab has never worked on this machine correct? If so, make sure you are using the most updated drivers for your motherboard chipset, your video card and your sound card. Also there may have been something in a recent patch for the game you are playing which disallows people to alt-tab out of the game, because most cheaters use this to run 3rd party programs in the background. Developers are starting to make this standardized in games because if you can't get to the desktop while playing the game, it lowers the the chances of people being able to 'hack' the game.

wkirkland

wkirkland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks alot for the help. I did find that once change drivers for the VooDoo Banchee card alt+tab worked. But the game looked like crap without it so I reinstalled and will just have to live without alt+tab.
:tazz: