Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Error

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
My computer keeps restarting for some reason. The time interval after my computer has switched on per restart keeps varying but it happens every single time i switch my computer on. After the restart when my computer comes on i'm guided to this website:
http://oca.microsoft...638a2f0f&SID=11

I have a Windows Home Edition PC. 3.00Ghz processor, 2.00GB Ram, 160GB Hard Disk, 128MB Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 Ultra & Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2.

Any idea how to solve this. I have tried updating the drivers and switching back to old ones.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi manu08 and Welcome to G2G!

Have you recently installed new hardware like your FX5700 or Audigy 2 sound card?

Can you get into SAFE MODE? if you can, go to START-->RUN and type in SFC /SCANNOW (You will need your XP CD to do this, after the blue bar goes away reboot your computer. What this does is check and see if any of your windows files are corrupt and if they are it replaces them with good versions)

If none of the above work and you have no warranties that you have to worry about voiding, I suggest you take out the graphics card and sound card and try to boot into normal mode. Of course you'll only be able to take out the graphics card if you have another slot for the monitor cable to attach to your computer.

Post back with your results.

Good luck!

Fenor

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I have already done that (sfc /scannow) but i did it in normal mode because i couldn't do that in safe mode, a black screen just use to open & close without anythin happening. I did not install any of the two cards recently however i did reformat my computer a few days back in order to make my computer into RAID 0 configuration & i do not have another slot to connect the monitor so i cannot remove the video card. Any other solutions?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
manu08...

Click Start then Run and type eventvwr.msc and slick "Ok"...Select "System" in the left pane and make note af any Red Circles in the right pane that occur at about the same time as your restarts...post them to this thread. Select "Applications" in the left pane and do the same.

Reboot your machine and during the boot sequence, press either the F1 or the Delete key to "Enter setup" In the BIOS settings, disable "Automatic Restart", save the changes, and exit...reboot. The next time your machine restarts by itself, it should generate an error message...Please post that message here for us.

Here's a workaround that may keep you running, but don't use it until we get some error messages to look at.

Click Start then Control Panel then double-click Display.
Under the Settings tab, click Advanced, and then click the Troubleshoot tab...Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then click to clear the "Enable Write Combining" check box.
Click "OK", and then click "OK" again to exit.

Note This procedure prevents the display driver from programming the hardware incorrectly, but you may lose some display functionality and performance. Although you can increase the hardware acceleration settings higher than None to regain functionality and performance, these settings increase the chance that the issue will occur again. For maximum stability, leave hardware acceleration off.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 September 2005 - 03:01 PM.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I cannot find anywhere to disable automatic restart in the BIOS but i did see that the AGP Aperature size was set to 64MB, do you think this could have any effect as to why the computer is restarting. Also another thing i noticed is that "most" of the time the computer restarts is when i'm playing a game. This time though when it restarted i was directed to a different page by error reporter:
http://oca.microsoft...f5ca9ef6&SID=10

I have attached a screenshot of "system" from event viewer, application does not have any Red circles at the time of restart.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Just now i was playing SWAT 4 for only about 5 - 10 mins and the computer restarted. After the computer booted & i sent the error report to microsoft, this time i was directed to the following web site:
http://oca.microsoft...ccee37&SID=1598

What exactly is going on?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
manu08...

Are you running a Norton Application on you machine? If so, what version?

wannabe1

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Yes i'm running Norton Internet Security 2005 Antispyware Edition.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Was this problem present before you installed IS 2005?

wannabe1

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
The last time it restarted i was directed to this page:
http://oca.microsoft...ea9c2503&SID=10

Well, i recently formatted my computer because i needed to make it into RAID 0 configuration. I installed all my games, got all my backed up files back onto the pc, and installed the softwares i needed/wanted back. Then a few days later i played games and they worked fine. Then suddenly this error started coming so ya. I do not know if it is anything related to Norton Internet Security. Is there any way i could find out whether my graphics card is "broken" by diagnosing it, other than by buying a new one and connecting it and checking whether the problem persists, is there a software basically to check the health of the graphics card?

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I uninstalled NIS 2005 & my computer currently has been working better. No restarts yet, even while playing games. I'll reinstall NIS 2005 in a few days and see whether the problem comes back.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
manu08...

I hope you're running an Anit-Virus program...if not, you can download either Avast or AVG Home free of charge. Both are good, either will work to protect your machine.

wannabe1

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Well, i'm not running one right now. I was planning to reinstall NIS 2005 today but just thought ill play swat 4 before installing it. While playing the game the computer restarted and after it booted i was directed to this page:
http://oca.microsoft...869e38a&SID=571

Do you know any diagnostic software i could possibly try out?

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi manu08,

Sorry to got of the topic a little but where did you get that theme from, I like it.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I got the theme from alienware. You might be able to get it off their website, they have new ones now, i don't know whether the old ones still exist. My one is the ALX version btw. You could try out this site tho it might be only the new one which is the invader theme.

http://www.alienware...es/invader.aspx