Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spouse checking history

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Lee.root

Lee.root

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My wife told me last night that she knows I'm deleting my history on the computer,

She won't tell me how she knows this, but she says that about 2 weeks ago I deleted part of my history.

How can she be doing this?

Advertisements

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hey there, to "clear your history" you go to Internet Options (under the Tools menu in internet explorer).

Theres a button there that says "Clear History". What this does is delete links to pages you have recently visited.

To check your history, go to Internet Options. Under the Temporary Internet Files section click Settings. From there, click the button that says "View Files".

Edited by dflo404, 18 September 2005 - 11:16 AM.

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
The answer is simple really. She checks it in your History tab at the top of your address bar.

From there, you can see history from 2 weeks ago or more.

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

To check your history, go to Internet Options.  Under the Temporary Internet Files section click Settings.  From there, click the button that says "View Files".

View Post

There is an easier way to do this. Simply go to the little watch at the top of your address bar if using Internet Explorer.

From there, you can view your computer history in sections.

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

She checks it in your History tab at the top of your address bar.

View Post

Yea forgot about that, I've been doing it the hard way. Thanks for reminding me lionwoods.

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
No problem.

Lee.root

Lee.root

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The answer is simple really. She checks it in your History tab at the top of your address bar.

From there, you can see history from 2 weeks ago or more.

View Post

Yeah I figured she can check my history that way, but how dows she know if I deleted some of it?

Lee.root

Lee.root

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hey there, to "clear your history" you go to Internet Options (under the Tools menu in internet explorer).

Theres a button there that says "Clear History".  What this does is delete links to pages you have recently visited.

To check your history, go to Internet Options.  Under the Temporary Internet Files section click Settings.  From there, click the button that says "View Files".

View Post

I kinow all that guy, I need to know how she knows if I deleted some of my history. IE.. She says I cleared half my history 2 weeks ago and she wants to know why I did it.

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
She probably viewed it before you deleted it. The day you deleted it, she probably saw that you deleted some of it.

I recommend putting a password on your user account if using XP. That way your history will be secure.

Also, make your folders private so that only you have access to it.

Lee.root

Lee.root

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

She probably viewed it before you deleted it. The day you deleted it, she probably saw that you deleted some of it.

I recommend putting a password on your user account if using XP. That way your history will be secure.

Also, make your folders private so that only you have access to it.

View Post

No, that would only make matters worse. She is so paranoid that I'm doing something behind her back.

I told he I delete things all the time, and that my history is just that, mine and not hers to look at. She's talking about separating or divorce over this. Yeah that's good, here we can barely afford one house, and now she wants us to have 2 separtate houses

Advertisements

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
This is clearly a matter between you and your wife and I don't think it will be a good idea for us to interfere.

Talk to her and try to sort things out. She probably suspects that you visit "unfriendly" websites.

As I said, this is a matter between you and your wife.

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Edit : Sorry for the double-post

Edited by LIONWOODS, 18 September 2005 - 11:41 AM.

Lee.root

Lee.root

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

This is clearly a matter between you and your wife and I don't think it will be a good idea for us to interfere.

Talk to her and try to sort things out. She probably suspects that you visit "unfriendly" websites.

As I said, this is a matter between you and your wife.

View Post

I'm not asking you to interfere, I just want to know if there is a way she can tell if I deleted a site from my history that I only visited that day and deleted the same day before she could read it

She says she can.
Microsoft says she can't
I'm in the dark here

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Nope. She can't. She's bluffing.

You could tell her that it is good housekeeping practice to periodically delete history (clearing temp files). Why don't you set your computer to not keep history, or delete every time you close the browser?

Johanna

Lee.root

Lee.root

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Nope.  She can't.  She's bluffing. 

You could tell her that it is good housekeeping practice to periodically delete history (clearing temp files).  Why don't you set your computer to not keep history, or delete every time you close the browser? 

Johanna

View Post

I'm not sure what's going on cept perhaps she thinks there should be more history in a week than she saw, but lately I've been using the computer doing things that just don't leave a history. Some days I don't even visit websites at all. I'm more interested is persueing my other passion, Amateur radio, and I have 2 programs that I can listen to other amateur radio operators, and it doesn't log in the history at all.

So that's one vote for bluffing

Anyone else?

Edited by Lee.root, 18 September 2005 - 12:16 PM.