Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spouse checking history

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
If Microsoft says she can't, she probably can't. :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Actually, depending on your settings, your history is automatically deleted after a certain number of days. By default it's set to 20 days in Internet Explorer, but I changed mine to 3 days. No need to keep that much crap in the history. If I want to save it I bookmark it.

seejinx70

seejinx70

• Pip
  • 1 posts
when you delete your cookies is there anyway they reappear or they show up under a wrong date.

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Do you have children?Blame them little rascals.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
This thread has been interesting because we often wonder just how private our computer use really is? Whether it's a site collecting user data or submitting a credit card or SS#, or wondering if the latest version of malware will forward our most embarrassing letters to everyone in our address book, just because some cyber criminal figures out how to do it...a person cannot realistically have any expectation of privacy on the internet. You can log in anonymously, password protect and encrypt data to be "discrete", but there is no such thing as internet privacy.

If you reformat a hard drive, a forensics team can probably get your files- it depends on how bad they want your stuff- if they try. You must physically destroy it. Then, anything online, every email, IM, web page visited etc will still be at your ISP, your correspondent's ISP and who knows how many places in between? There is always a trail, and to forget that for one minute is foolish. Never write anything you are not willing to sign your name to, and then ask yourself how you would feel if it fell into XX's hands. It could. You can lesson the chance considerably, but there is always an element of risk.

That said, if you don't want obvious documentation of your internet activity, shut "history" off and set IE to dump all temp files, cookies etc on exit. You will browse more slowly, but the casual user is not going to stumble upon evidence inadvertently. I don't advise trying to delete selected site's. The advice to use a separate account is a very good one. I would explain it with a smile saying "I have my personal settings preferences set, and now you can, too!" and stress the convenience, not the fact that it's none of spouse's business what you were doing while online. Best of luck, and here is a link for victims of control freaks, male and female.
http://www.johannank...sWitchAbuse.htm

Johanna

Edited by Czarina, 18 September 2005 - 08:11 PM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

My wife told me last night that she knows I'm deleting my history on the computer,

She won't tell me how she knows this, but she says that about 2 weeks ago I deleted part of my history. 

How can she be doing this?

View Post

Hi Lee.root,

Welcome to Geeks To Go, My name is Tony.

There is a software that I use called Crap Cleaner, this helps delete the histories on the computer etc.

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

I'm not sure what's going on cept perhaps she thinks there should be more history in a week than she saw

View Post

That was my guess from the beginning... she just thinks there should be more history than there is there.

No, there's no specific way she can tell if a History has been deleted, but she could check the Keep History for X Number of Days setting and, if she sees less than that number of days history, pretty reasonably extrapolate that you've been deleting history.

You could always really freak her out and set the Save History setting to 0 days....

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts
I think enough information has been given. As said in a previous post, this is between you and your wife...

Closing Thread....