Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stalled out reinstall! HELP!

• Please log in to reply

GWats

GWats

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
So I'm all set to reinstall Win98se on my P3 650. According to the tutorial, the first thing I must do is to get into the BIOS thing as the computer boots up. So I press 'del' as it starts up. It takes me to a blue DOS screen that is titled:
ROM PCI/ISA BIOS CMOS SETUP UTILITY
One of the options on this screen is BIOS FEATURE SETUP.
I'm thinking this is the right place.
Here's the problem. On top of this blue screen is a small red window asking me to ENTER PASSWORD:. I don't have a password. I tried everything I could possibly think of. I don't recall ever putting in a password. I have a list of all the passwords, usernames, etc. I've ever used for anything. There's nothing there for this.
Is there another way to get the computer to 'boot from the CD-ROM drive'??
I'm stalled out before I've even gotten started.
Help please
Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
GWats...

Try leaving it blank...if that doesn't work, we may have to flash the BIOS...we'll burn that bridge when we get to it...

wannabe1

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I've already tried to leave it blank. I've tried many ways to get past that screen. All to no avail. The Enter Password screen just keeps coming up.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How are you about rummaging around inside the case of your machine?

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
No problem
Just tell me what to do (in really really simple terms)
Let's go for it!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
GWats...

Ok...Open the case (left side off)...looking into the case, on the lower right quarter of the motherboard you should see a disk battery about the size of a nickle. Near it (usually just to the right or just below) there wil be three small pins with a jumper block over the left two of them. These are the items we're interested in. During this procedure be sure to ground yourself to a metal part of the case to prevent static discharge damage to the components on the motherboard...touch the case with your arm or hand while working in there.

With the machine unplugged, carefully remove the battery and set it aside. Now take the jumper block on the pins described above and switch them from this position ( . . . ) to this position ( . . . ) leave it for about 30 seconds and then return it to it's original position. Replace the battery + side up, put the case back together, plug it in, and fire it up. This will clear any password stored in the BIOS and let you enter setup.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This procedure will also clear the time and date..along with a few other settings in the BIOS. These will reset to default which will still allow the machine to boot.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 September 2005 - 05:34 PM.

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
It was a little scary (the battery was partially buried by some big card) but it's done. Everything went well and the password is gone.
Thanks a million. You explained it so well that even I could do it.

I don't think I'm out of the woods quite yet. That first screen that I'm supposed to come to (as illustrated in the tutorial) doesn't look at all the same.

Stay tuned for details.

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
OK, so here's the next dilemma. (how can I have 2 dilemmas and I'm not even past Step One in the tutorial?)

Here's how the tutorial reads:
"there should be a tab that says, Startup/Boot Order. Under that should be a list with a list of options, make the 1st Boot - Floppy/3.5 Floppy, 2nd Boot - CDROM, 3rd Boot - Hard Drive, 4th Boot - Other. "

Once I'm in the StartUp options place, I go into Boot Sequence place and there are a list of possible sequences, none of which are what is required as stated in the tutorial. Here are the options presented:
A, C, SCSI
C, A, SCSI
C, CDROM, A
CDROM, C, A
D, A, SCSI
E, A, SCSI
F, A, SCSI
SCSI, A, C
SCSI, C, A
C only
LC/ZIP, C

That' it.
No A, CDROM, C,
(either my D or E drive is CDROM, the D is the burner)

How do I set up my sequence to the required order?
Is there an order there that will do?
Can I add another option to the list?
HELP (again)
Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you trying to set up to boot from floppy or cd?

CDROM, C, A Will boot from cd or boot floppy if cd is not present and operating system is not installed.

Edited by wannabe1, 20 September 2005 - 07:52 PM.

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I don't know exactly what I'm trying to do. Here's Step One of the tutorial:

(Step 01)
You need to make sure that you have the BIOS/Startup, so that the CDROM drives boots before the Hard Drive. To do this, you need to enter the BIOS/Startup by pressing: ESC, F1, F2, or DEL. Usually during POST (boot up) there should be something on the bottom stating on how to enter the BIOS/Startup. Press the button that it says to press or try one of the above until you enter BIOS/Startup Menu. Now using the arrow keys, there should be a tab that says, Startup/Boot Order. Under that should be a list with a list of options, make the 1st Boot - Floppy/3.5 Floppy, 2nd Boot - CDROM, 3rd Boot - Hard Drive, 4th Boot - Other. Place the CD in the CDROM Drive, save and exit the BIOS settings.

I'm not sure why the order has to be that way but I figure there must be a reason somewhere down the line.

What do you think I should do?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
CDROM, C, A I think you are trying to use the cd for a clean install...correct? If so, use this option.

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
It worked!!!
The reinstall went very smooth once we got by that password thing. Most everything has been reinstalled or reacquired through downloads.

There is one problem at this point that I'm sure is something simple that I have overlooked. I have a 4way USB HUB where I hook up my printer, camera card reader, etc. It worked fine prior to the reinstall of Windows but now won't work. The main light at the top is orange but the 4 green lights at the bottom do not come on when I plug things into them (like they did before). My SanDisk card reader lights up when plugged in too.

What do I need to do to get it working again?

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
GWats....

This sounds like a motherboard driver or drivers haven't been installed. You might try going to the manufacturer's website to get them. If you aren't sure what you need, download Everest Home Edition, install it, run it, and attach a log to this thread. I'll see if I can point you to the right ones.

wannabe1