Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinFixer 2005 [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

lithriel

lithriel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
??? It works now... for some strange reason... I can access any site now... Well I guess my problem went away on it's own... I also went through and cut down on the amount of programs that run on start up and my computer's response time is much better... :tazz:

I have no idea why I couldn't access certain links for a while... but it seems to be okay... Do you still want me to continue?

WinFixer has been gone from my computer (thank you SO much!!) ... and I think the only reason I got a pop-up was because the company who created a free service tagboard I use on a small side website I own has now decided to force advertisements on the people who use their services, something they didn't do before... :) I belive this is what is happening because the ad only pops up when I visit that particular page of my own website... highly annoying too...

I think overall my computer is much better now, thanks to you. Should we go through the steps above just to make sure? ?? :)

Advertisements

alsocom

alsocom

Visiting Staff

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
It could have been something as simple a dirty IE cache that was cleaned on a reboot.

Since everything seems to be running better, I'll give you my All-Clean speech now. Let me know if anything else arises in the next few day.

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove bad files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected.)

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. On the System Restore tab, put a check mark in the 'Turn Off System Restore' check box.
3. Click OK, and then click Yes.
4. Restart the computer.
5. Repeat steps 1 - 2, this time clearing the box beside 'Turn Off System Restore', click 'OK'.

I suggest that you download these programs to help keep the computer clean:

Spyware Blaster - Blocks bad ActiveX items from installing on your computer. Spyware Blaster runs silently in the background.
ie-spyad - Puts over 12,000 bad URLs into your restricted sites for Internet Explorer.
Google Toolbar - Blocks many unwanted pop-ups in Internet Explorer.
Firefox - 'Safer' alternative to the Internet Explorer web browser.
ZoneAlarm - Free firewall program if you currently are not using one.

Update these regularly.

You may also want to read "So how did I get infected in the first place" to learn how to better secure your computer.

Be sure to keep Windows and your Anti-virus updated.

lithriel

lithriel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks so much for your help! My computer's Restore point has been editied. Thanks for the links as well. You are my hero!! :) :tazz:

alsocom

alsocom

Visiting Staff

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.