Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

restore wont work

• Please log in to reply

ctwistedpair

ctwistedpair

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried instaling nero, when I was finished, icould not access my cd rom drive. xp said "no driver for this device". I tried to do a restore but keep getting code 39.
Regedit wont let me change anything. I cant do a factory restore because the cd rom doesn't work. Help!!!!!!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
go into DEVICE MANAGER (right click MY COMPUTER, then click on PROPERTIES, select the HARDWARE tab and then click on DEVICE MANAGER) and uninstall/remove your CD-ROM that is listed there. Then reboot your computer and let XP install it over again. I would also suggest that you uninstall NERO before doing this so that nothing is conflicting.

Post back with how things are going after doing this.

Good luck!

Fenor

P.S. -- If I don't reply right away it's because I'm watching the Packers game :tazz:

ctwistedpair

ctwistedpair

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I uninstalled and reinstalled as you said, but I'm still geting error code 39. I've also tried rewriting the registry fo that code but I get error deliting line. Thanks for your help, enjoy the game. Football first computers last.Thanks again, Carl

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you tried initiating a system restore from safe mode? And what did you uninstall? Nero or your CD drive or both or ???

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Hey, Fenor, sorry about those Packers! About as crazy as Cincinnati being 0-2!
Johanna
(Go Steelers!)

ctwistedpair

ctwistedpair

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have removed nero, the cdrom, part of my mind....
I tried restore in safe mode also. nuthin. this computer is getting closer to the garbage chute as days go by.

ctwistedpair

ctwistedpair

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
is there any way to do a factory restore without the cdrom? :tazz: