Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hijack This Can't Install

• Please log in to reply

beedleb

beedleb

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi!

While working on my problem with AOL disconnects, I have been attempting to complete all the preparatory steps like running Cleanup, AVG, Spybot etc. However, I can not seem to get Hijack This installed. My Mcafee detects a worm and yanks it. I was able to find a target that Mcafee didn't stop, but then during install I encounter a different problem...an error stating that access is denied because an error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory; Movefile failed; code 5. I'm given the options of abort, retry or ignore. Retry yields the same result and the error states that ignore is not recommended so I abort the install. Any suggestions?

Michelle

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
You do not need to "install" Hijackthis. It's just a regular application that you can open on the spot.

Where did you download it?

Try here: http://www.download....4-10379544.html

beedleb

beedleb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for your response....I attempted your link. Again it is blocked by McAfee which states it detects a worm in the file and yanks it. I have noted on the HijackThis source website that the Mcafee problem is a known issue but I didn't see a resolution posted. I'm hopeful that someone on the forum has identified a workaround!

Thanks,
Michelle

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
shutdown mcafee and then do it. this is a known issue with mcaffee.

beedleb

beedleb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks so much...That did it!