Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant re-install COD UO-Can you help?

• Please log in to reply

DreadZone

DreadZone

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi. Ive been running COD-UO fine on my PC for 9mths.

I then developed a problem with the sound cutting out. My solution was to re-install the complete game (Cod-UO only).

This is my problem.

When it gets towards the end of installing disk 2- it stops and an error message pops up saying it

"cannot locate the file pakuo04.pk3--.locate this file and verify, then try again."

Ive tried cleaning the disk. have borrowed another copy of COD Uo with the same result. I've removed a Mod pack i had installed and re-booted.

Do i have to remove the original COD game as well plus any patches before you can re-install??

Any ideas???? Would love to get thi[B]s fixed asap.
many thanks

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
yes, I would completely remove the game. Make sure the install folder has been deleted. Then reinstall. apply the patches and update punkbuster and you should be good.

DreadZone

DreadZone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi. Ive checked the quality of both copies of COD-UO on Nero drive speed.

Both copies appear to have errors with the same file pakuo04/pk3

. how is this ? and what can i do.

it just will not reinstall.
regards

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Have you tried a manual install?

Manual install article

DreadZone

DreadZone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yeh tried a manual install. The pakuo04.pk3 file apprears to be corrupt on both seperate copies of UO

is it possible to download the said file / crate a foder and manually put the rest of the installation in that folder..

cheers

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you said copies... sorry we are unable to provide any further help unless you have the original factory cd's.

DreadZone

DreadZone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
what i ment was i have two original factory CD'd of CODUO ( with serial numbers and manual etc) -NOT copies. but two bona fidi bought versions of the game.
My problem is that both "copies/CD'd/versions" both behave the same and will not install.

the problem seems to be with a corrupted file called pakuo04pk3 on both "copies" of the game.

any idea's

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Have you tried installing the game using a different CD/DVD drive?
Have you tried changing the transfer mode on the CD/DVD drive to PIO mode only? (Long shot).
Otherwise you might have to contact Activision.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 22 September 2005 - 09:37 AM.

DreadZone

DreadZone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
the Zeus
thanks for your reply.

yep done all those and more. i moved the problem along. i downloaded the offending file ( pakuo04.pk) from LimewireP2P and did a maunal installed.
this got the game installed --BUT--- then when i go to run it . i get a message saying a weapons flie ( 30cal_tank)

_ can nt be loaded.

any ideas how to get round this one. i went to a mod site to try a grap the files, but that just brought be foul of punkbuster before i could get the weapons message. so --i removed that one.

this problem all came about after trying to reinstall. Activision have been no help-just throwing cut/paste bog standard pat answers at me.

anyway--your thoughts would be welcome on how to get round this weapons file.
cheers

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I bet you have the game of the year edition. remove any files that you may have downloaded from another server including custom maps. update punkbuster via pbweb.exe. see if you can reinstall the patch. if you cant see if you can extract it.

DreadZone

DreadZone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
sorted now . thanks

my advice-------------- after a very frustrating week.

re-install COD Game of the Year at your peril.

@

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
im suprised that no one has filed a lawsuit against activision to force them in replacing the media with properly created cd's.