Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD video burning?

• Please log in to reply

Blaze29a

Blaze29a

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello all,

Ok i have a video camera I imported some video onto my PC with it.Now i would like to get it on DVD i have nero but it does not offer a dvd video burning option only copying. SO can anyone recomend a program in which i can actualy burn my dvd video on to it without the hassel i have been on this for days please help

THX :tazz:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
what nero do you have? if you have v6 or newer then it should be able to do dvd's. in fact I opened nero express and it has the option for video files.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

What format is the video you imported on your computer? Mpeg, avi? I am not sure if Nero has mpeg-encoding capabilities if the video is not in mpeg format. There are a few freeware options to look into. First, you can try looking at Avi2DVD, it is a freeware program that uses freeware encoders to convert video files to DVD format and will create an ISO image file that is easy to burn with burning software. Check it out at:
http://www.trustfm.n...areAvi2Dvd.html

Cheers,
Tom

Hello all,

Ok i have a video camera I imported some video onto my PC with it.Now i would like to get it on DVD i have nero but it does not offer a dvd video burning option only copying. SO can anyone recomend a program in which i can actualy burn my dvd video on to it without the hassel i have been on this for days please help
THX :tazz:

View Post

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I like using vcd gear it can convert most media files in to most others and is great for turning things into cue and bin files which you can just burn to a disc.

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
I have seen ALOT of people with this problem so this is what i usuall tell them (hope its helpful, if you case varies tell me and i will work around it):

I'm almost certain all your problems are related by the software you are using. Windows Movie maker.

For video (windows) editing I suggest anything but that program! Try these (Iím sure you can get demo versions of them if you donít want to buy them just yet):

1. Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 ($1000), Adobe Premiere 6 LE ($100.00 - ebay, or search Google Australia) http://www.adobe.com this is the best one on PC that I use most of the time.

2. Video studio 8 ($200). http://www.asiapac.ulead.com

3. Pinnacle studio 9 ($200) http://www.pinnaclesys.com

And if you have a Mac my favourite is:

1. Final Cut Pro HD (or the newest version). google it.

(this was said to an australian, if you are an american you use "NTSC")

I noticed you said you captured in NTSC and made comment that the final quality of the DVD was real bad.

PAL (Australiaís TV standard) works on 50hz and NTSC (America TV standard) works on 60hz, PAL uses 50 fields per second and NTSC uses 60 fields per second. They are completely incompatible (well you can convert between them...). PAL also has a resolution of 720*576 and NTSC has something smaller like 640*478?. So naturally NTSC will have less quality. And when you convert between the two your only going to get more problems.

So I will suggest re capturing in PAL (or NTSC if american). If you have a NTSC video recorder (and you live in Australia) i suggest selling that and buying a PAL one. (or visaversa)

Also keep the screen resolution of the video at 720*576PAL (different for NTSC) at all times, donít compress anything using these programs.

After you have captured it to a program and edited it. Export it as and uncompressed file - .avi

After that you need a program to author, capture and burn the dvd. I suggest:

1. Ulead DVD MovieFactory Disc Creator 2, 3 or 4. ($200). - go to http://www.download.com for the demo.

2. there are heaps more, best to start with 1 though.

So you open up that program. Select create a DVD (not VCD) then import the video file, then edit the menu, then press next next next and burn it!. Hopefully that works. If not..... get back to me....

Basicaly stick clear of nero...., DVD MovieFactory does excelent compresion, authoring and burning in 1! where ou have to get an external compressor (usallly poor quality) for nero, then you cant even make menus!

Edited by st22, 20 September 2005 - 04:50 PM.