Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with limiting Internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cobhcf

cobhcf

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hello guys,

I have a house and i rent one of my rooms to a student. I provide free Wireless DSL internet for the guy. I would like to know how i can limit his download and upload speeds because he has been doing too much downloads slowing down my speed.

Are there any special software availabe for this kind of thing or can i use my router itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers! :tazz:

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello cobhcf and welcome to G2G, :tazz:

One quick question before I assist you cobhcf.

1) Does your Internet Service Provider allow sublets and multiple IP leases under your current agreement.

If not you are in violation of the G2G Terms of Service and we are not alllowed to assist you, in your illegal activities.

cobhcf

cobhcf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hello,

I have no idea about that. How do i find out? Should i call my ISP and verify? and what are sublets and multiple ip leases? :)

Cheers! :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I presume you're using a router. If so go into the setup page of the router and see what options you have. Many routers let you limit traffic to users. If you don't have a router just get one that has that feature.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Call Your ISP and Ask them if you are allowed to add a router and give out free internet access to your tennants. Im willing to bet they will tell you "NO". I know for 100% that in Oklahoma this is illegal and it is directed by the FCC, so I'm pretty sure that will make it illegal in your state also - Unless you live in another country other than the US.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i have contacted the administration of the forum to check on the legitimacy of this thread ( i understand that there is nothing overtly illegal here, but there may be a fine line that might be close to being crossed) please hold all responses to this thread untill we recieve confirmation on wheather or not this topic can be permitted.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
As this practice is illegal in most places, this thread is closed.

Please check with your internet service provider for ways to accomplish what you are asking. They are the only ones who can be sure if this is illegal or not. Since we cannot know, we cannot help you.

ScHwErV :tazz: