Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RPC Server is unavailable

• Please log in to reply

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
i tried to restored from the farthest(sp? that looks funny) date back in july and then i tried another restore date in august before the pack and it didnt let me should i try from the day after that? cuz that date is bold too

Edited by EmilyPam, 19 September 2005 - 06:32 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go for it.

You wouldn't happen to have access to another XP cd would you?

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
my brother said he has a XP recovery disk but i was afraid to use cuz he has an emachine and i have this dell i was afraid it would conflict...gonna try the other restore date

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nope...his won't work. We'd need a regular one.

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
okay i couldn't restore from the day after either..... hmmmm....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok......

The scan I really want to run on this machine requires the cd...Let's try this one again after pounding our heads into the wall trying to install the installed...:tazz:

Click Start then Run and type chkdsk /f (Note the space before /f) and click "OK". This procedure is going to want to run on reboot so go ahead and type Y at the prompt and press "Enter" Reboot your machine. This might take a while depending on what it finds...Do Not interupt this
operation!

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
okay i ran the scan, it scanned and it started the computer over after the scan

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
i guess i am gonna have to cut this session off now....i have a night class tonite, but i found this article too bout the service pack and access denied error codes

http://www.michna.co...all_information

I'll check in in about 2 1/2 hrs.

byie! Em

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go to Control Panel and see if Security Center is there...if Yes, double click the Icon for it...is the firewall on and is your antivirus detected and running?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I read that article too...found your troublesome Uninstall folder there. It had me scratching my head as your Everest log shows XP SP1 as the OS.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
See if you can round up an XP installation cd...beg, borrow, or steal one!
(well, don't really steal one... :tazz: )

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
i clicked on the Security Center and it didn't even open...go figure..lol

Em

P.S. I will find a disk....I know I can, I know I can, lol

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A disk would sure go a long ways toward fixing this...Both the fixes I would normally use on this require the disk to compare and replace system files (which is what we need to do)...both are non destructive repairs and leave data intact...I miss not being able to use 'em..... :tazz:

The other option we have is to do some editing to the registry which I would rather leave as a last resort...Full system recovery would be the option after that. I'de rather fix what you have...it's running so it CAN be fixed.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try this...click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /x (Note the spaces) and reboot when prompted. This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

Edited by wannabe1, 19 September 2005 - 09:59 PM.

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
okay let's hope that this is a good day! i just got all the 6 cd's that came w/this computer including the main one that is titled OPERATING SYSTEM Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP home edition Including Service Pack 1a

so what's our next move?