Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RPC Server is unavailable

• Please log in to reply

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
okay here's what happened.....tried the repair DID NOT WORK... *insert bad word* during the installation i was given an error message

Could not load into library C:\WINDOWS\System32\catsrv.dll

I clicked okay.......so then the computer started back up and of course showed no changes

There is nothing on this computer that had important files etc....I checked it out and everything, it was apprently being used to surf, burn cds', etc. I checked the My Documents it was empty etc. except for music but that can be replaced

I then tried to install a fresh copy but then pulled a blank when it asked me about deleting the partitioner??? had no clue!

This computer is way beyond jacked .....lol

Lemme know..Em

Advertisements

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Report: updates have been cleared off of this computer.....and it's downloading updates now...is that a good sign????? should i just try to install a clean version of XP?

Nevermind.....it just download the BIT download but didnt install the Windows Installer 3.1

Edited by EmilyPam, 20 September 2005 - 05:53 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...Let's have a party!!!

Put the cd in the drive and reboot. When prompted to boot from cd, press any key. Press F8 when prompted to accept the license agreement. When you get to the partition part, choose to Delete the partition...press D. Then, because it is the system partition, you will have to press L to verify that you know that the party is about to start.

Next, you need to Create a new partition on the unpartitioned space...press C. When asked to type the size of the partition, press enter to use the entire partition.

Next select the option to format the partition. You'll be offered two choices FAT32 and NTFS...the choice is yours. NTFS is a little faster. Whichever you choose, use the long format option (not quick). Once the partition has been formatted, setup will install windows.

As soon as Windows is up and running, start getting the updates until you have SP2 back on the machine...hopefully uncorrupted this time (I think that was our whole problem) and then download either Avast or AVG...I prefer Avast...it's a personal preference thing...

Rule #1 in effect

Let me know how it goes.........

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 September 2005 - 06:05 PM.

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
thanks for this info...i am on my way to try it out.....

I will be having a drink when this is done! lol

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
*Walks in w/a big grin***

Okay I just finished, the computer is up and running, i had no problems at all, I downloaded all the drivers, accessories, blah blah, got my updates, got my service pack 2, virus protection, installed other software that was on the computer, and i can burn CD's, I did this w/NO ERRORS on the computer!!!!!

I guess this computer just needed to start over....lol..thanks FOR ALL YOUR HELP I guess saving the best for last, and I learned more than I ever have!!

Thanks AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Em

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's Great, Em... :) And with no errors..that's a good sign of few future problems. :tazz: I've been searching the internet all evening in regards to the problem we were having. It all points to an incomplete, interupted, or corrupt installation of SP2. The only fix that worked was what we ended up doing in almost every case (of which I only found about a half dozen).

In other words, I learned a little, too!

Glad everything's up and running again...take care! :)

wannabe1