Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNS Error + MSN (all versions)

• Please log in to reply

siga

siga

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hello...forgive the spelling in advance...i uninstalled my office 2000...ill get to that in a seccond...no help from spell check...and i havnt slept in 3 and a half days....

------------------------=MY PROB=-------------------------

hotmail.com , passport.com , server status, msn download pages (all versions)
EDIT: its not just the above. iv been running into more sites with the same problem.

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings....
...blah blah blah...
Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

this all started when i got an error one day saying 80072efd, unable to sign in, check internet connection. running 6.2 at the time, i upgrade to 7.0. same message. 7.5, same message, different code. (which says the same thing when u look up the code)
7.5 troubleshooter put a "!" beside KeyPorts and expected me to understand what "!" meant.

-i DOWNLOADED every Messenger version i could google. no luck. but i did manage to memorize each error code.
-i have tried EVERYTHING msn, messenger, microsoft has suggested, more then twice.
-i have PAID for a tech support call...i was told to reinstall windows...i told him i dont have my original xp cd in this country...he gave me a 5% off mail in rebate for Win ME...gotta love what a $37 call can do these days.
-i have READ coutless amounts of forum groups (always unable to register/post because they required an e-mail adress...when the topic was about "can't connect to hotmail.com") and followed there instrustions with no success.
-i have INSTALLED pretty much every file relating to this problem. ones that were mentioned on this site and others i stumbled apon. (hijackthis, ad-aware, regedit/IE/socks repair tools ect)
-i have UNINSTALLED Nortens 2003 (a lot of people with my problem said it all started when there subcription expired and was fixed when they uninstalled it) i also uninstalled Office 2000 and office 2003. i kept getting an "another instalization is in progress" when i tried to uninstall the 20 versions on MSN on my computer. (event log told me too)
-i have done all my AUTO-UPDATES and windows update.
-i have REQUESTED to have an update of Security certificates sent from MSN, hotmail ect so i can connect and get back to work. 2 days pending.
i have tried every suggested CMD command to touble shoot connectivity from support sites.
-i have SCANED my computer several times. and found nothing..nada...zip...its crystal clean...which is odd when you use 4 different scan programs on the seccond try.

hijackthis returned nothing but system files and drivers. (i looked up each one to make sure they were legit)

and im honestly loosing my mind and i cant take this anymore...its driving me nuts....days on end of reading (not that read is bad or anything ) hundreds of articles with nothing but the problem, but no one takes the time to post the solution...so its like a vicius cycle of MSN 7.5... :tazz: .....

possible conflicts i havnt explored yet(or know how)
-my Netgear router
-certificates

...can someone help me? :)
honestly, if you guys help me, ill donate $37 USD to the site. at least ill get some tech support worth what i paid. oh maybe you guys need some new graphics? logos? flash welcome page?

I was directed here by:
Geek Forum By Google

-----------------------------------------------------------

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 12:43:38 AM, on 9/19/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXPService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\Msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\imapi.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\devldr32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
E:\RANDOM CRAP\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.passport.net/
O1 - Hosts: Usage Information:
O1 - Hosts: Save Changes - Save any changes you make to hosts file
O1 - Hosts: Reset Default - Will Replace any existing Hosts with a Windows Default one, original file doesn't have to exist
O1 - Hosts: Save Log - Will Save the Hosts as a Text file, Good for Posting
O1 - Hosts: _________________________________________________________________
O1 - Hosts: Enable and Disable - Will Swap Hosts Files On the Fly for those that want to use Hosts, and Temporarily Disable it.
O1 - Hosts: Scan for Hosts - Will Search your Windows Drive for Hosts Files, useful if Hosts is in wrong location or installed to Alternate location by Trojan.
O1 - Hosts: Delete - Does exactly that, Delete and Hosts File Selected in the Listbox.
O1 - Hosts: By Option^Explicit, [email protected]
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DXM6Patch_981116] C:\WINDOWS\p_981116.exe /Q:A
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [type32] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\Msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [STYLEXP] C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXP.exe -Hide
O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files\Messenger\Msgslang.dll,-61144 - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Program Files\Messenger\Msgslang.dll,-61144 - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://spaces.msn.co...ad/MsnPUpld.cab

Edited by siga, 19 September 2005 - 05:49 AM.

Advertisements

siga

siga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
can someone help me? is someone helping me?

krosfyah

krosfyah

• Pip
  • 4 posts
siga, my problem was exactly like allstarplaya's not your but hotmail emailed me with a solution that WORKED! i'll post the instructions, see if they help you...

1. Open your Internet Explorer, go to the Tools menu and select Internet Options
2. Click the Security tab
3. Select the icon of the world, called Internet
4. Click the Default Level button. If the Default Level button is already faded into the background and cannot be clicked, that is fine - your Security settings are set to the correct level
5. Click the Privacy tab
6. Ensure that the Privacy level is set to Medium. Use the grey slider bar on the left-hand side of the window to set the level to Medium if necessary. If the Privacy level is currently set to Custom, please click the Default button to return it to a setting of Medium
7. Click the Edit button in the lower-right corner of the window

Please note: If you see a section called Pop-up Blocker instead of the Edit button, please ignore steps 8-10 and continue on from step 11.

8. In the Address of Web site: box, type in hotmail.com
9. Click the Allow button. The address hotmail.com will drop down to the Managed Web sites box
10. Repeat the above process to also add the following addresses:

msn.com
passport.com
passport.net

Click the OK button once these four addresses have been added

11. Once again in the Internet Options window, click the Advanced tab at the top of the window
12. Click the Restore Defaults button at the bottom of the window
13. Click the Apply button in the lower-right corner, then click the OK button