Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98SE problems

• Please log in to reply

Antiman75

Antiman75

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was having trouble with sound card, but after having cleared that up something else went wrong. When booting up it goes through all the checks, it's happy with sound card, as far as i can tell, but when it goes to start Windows (98SE) it goes back to a DOS screen looks like...
1 NORMAL
2 LOGGED (BOOTLOG TXT)
3 SAFE MODE
4 STEP BY STEP CONFIRMATION
5 COMMAND PORMPT
6 SAFE MODE COMMAND PROMPT
I have only tried NORMAL. then i get a screen that says " RAM PARITY ERROR-CHECKING FOR SEGMENT...
OFFENDING SEGMENT:
PRESS F1 TO DISABLE NMI, F2 TO REBOOT
At this point, there is no responce.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did changes to the soundcard involve opening the PC Tower

Antiman75

Antiman75

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes , i replaced Crystal CS4281 with a different one same model i got with a driver disk.
I don't know if going through the install & driver install did it or not because did not work until i noticed both D drive (CD ROM), and E Drive(CD RW) were both plugged into the card. I unplugged the D Drive from the card and it worked.