Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networked printer doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
My teacher has 6 computers, all Windows 98 SE. She has one printer that all 6 share. It is directly connected to computer #2. I can get it to work on the others if I use network neighborhood and browse the other computers, or do PING. When computer #2 is restarted, the other computers lose the connection and I have to browse and do PING again. And sometimes that doesn't even work. What can I do to make it work without having to do those things on each computer?

Edited by computerwiz12890, 19 September 2005 - 09:31 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Dunno if Windows 98 can do this exactly since I haven't used it in awhile, but there should be a way to add a network printer if you just go to add a new printer in printer section of the control panel. Again I may be wrong since it's been awhile since i've used 98.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Check out this link

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I know how to set up a network printer, but my problem is that it isn't working anymore. It used to work perfectly several months ago. Now, sometimes I can get it to work, but when the main computer is restarted, the others lose the connection. Sometimes PING and just browsing the network can restore the connection, but sometimes it won't. Almost all of her computers have had virus troubles, which were taken care of several months ago (interesing connection, eh?), some as much as 20 viruses. They've all been taken care of, but I'll check again with Panda and Trend Micro tomorrow just to be sure. Maybe somehow the viruses messed up the connection: I know that I did have to use Winsock fix since the internet wasn't working, but the internet works now. I can see all the computers in the network. I don't know if there's something else that the viruses could have done, but if there is, I don't know how to fix it. Please help, and thanks for replying.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 19 September 2005 - 08:18 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I got it fixed guys. I need to change my order of troubleshooting. Here's what happened:

A long time ago these computers had viruses, some which disabled the internet connection. That was before I knew about winsock fix. I was going to format 2 of the computers, so we started switching things around. Then I discovered winsock fix and everything was back to normal. Apparently I didn't put everything back where it originally was. The printer was originally hooked up to computer 2, but now it is hooked up to computer 1. So all the networked computers were looking at computer 2. I don't know how computer 2 is set up (the bell rang before I had time to check), but somehow it was working. And somehow PING and just browsing the network could get the others to see the printer. Now that I changed the settings on all the computer to look to computer 1 for the printer, they all work now.

*sighs* Sometimes it's those simple things that are killers, eh? Next time I'll look at the simple stuff first. Sorry to bother y'all. :tazz:

Thanks,
computerwiz12890