Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

everything is missing!

• Please log in to reply

rcm190

rcm190

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi. I have a desktop computer running windows xp. Last night, I turned my computer off and nothing seemed wrong. Today, it is a disaster. I turned on the computer to a slew of error messages saying that none of the programs were recognizable - i mean NOTHING! the programs (word, excel, adaware, etc) all seem to be on the computer but they cant be opened. Outlook is the only program on my desktop that is working. If you have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
System Restore!!

Johanna

rcm190

rcm190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, that along with every other program keeps asking what I should use to open it. Any other thoughts?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you have your XP cd?
Johanna

rcm190

rcm190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I don't know where it is at the moment although I am looking. Update on the problem: It seems that all of my files have been renamed .lnk files. I can pick out a program to open a program with and it will open - ie if i right click a file and select open with... i can pick explorer to open internet explorer. The properties of this icon are weird. Under shortcut, it says Start in: %Homedrive%%homepath%

On my laptop, this same thing says Start in: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer"

I tried to manually change the properties but as soon as I closed it, it reverted back to the %homedrive%%homepath% thing.

Perhaps this might be more of a spyware/virus type problem. Thoughts?

rcm190

rcm190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok. I managed to restore all the lnk files and all of my icons are back. Now I'm receiving an error message that says "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." What does that mean? I tried to check the file types on this laptop vs that desktop and they all look the same. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks!

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
To change file associations
1. Right-click a file with the extension whose association you want to change, and then click Open With.
2. In the Open With dialog box, click the program where you want the file to open, or click Browse to locate the program that you want.
3. Select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box.
from here:
http://support.micro...9&product=winxp

Johanna

rcm190

rcm190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the help. I actually ended up having to change the registry keys back to the original state. If anyone else needs help with this, www.dougknox.com has file association registry keys for xp that take about 2 seconds to fix the problem.

Thanks again!!