Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maximum Amount Of RAM?

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovemm

o2mcgovemm

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi :)

I've got an old laptop, which is very slow. (I don't want to get a new one... not yet anyway) I've had a look on google and decided that adding RAM is the easiest, and cheapest, way to go about speeding it up... problem is though, the maximum amount of RAM is 128MB (I'm used to working with at least 512MB).

What I need answering is; how do you increase the maximum amount of RAM? Is the max. amount of RAM something to do with the processor, like how much the processor can handle or something like that. I asked one of my mates, who's a computer nerd and he said he didn't really know, but it might be something to do with the processor.

Your help is much apprieciated!!
Michael. :tazz:

Oh, and just one last thing... does anyone know whether there's a great deal of improvement in speed between 128MB of RAM and 512MB of RAM? (if that makes sense).

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

The maximum amount of ram a system can recognise is dependent on the bios, not the processor.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
removed

Edited by pip22, 20 September 2005 - 01:37 PM.