Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive Letter Renaming

• Please log in to reply

Wire111

Wire111

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I got my computer back from the shop a little while back, I had the old hard disk removed because it had bad sectors, in it's place, I had a brand new hard disk put in. Before I took my computer to the shop, I had the CD-RW drive named E: and the CD drive named D: Now that my computer is back, the CD drive is named E: and the CD-RW drive is named D: Can someone telll me if there is any way I can change the letters around?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can change the drive letters by going into Computer Management and then Disk Management inside Computer Management. To get to Computer Management, go into the CONTROL PANEL and click on ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS, and then click on COMPUTER MANAGEMENT, then click on DISK MANAGEMENT underneath STORAGE. Then RIGHT CLICK on the CD drive listed that you want to change and select CHANGE DRIVE LETTER AND PATH. It's pretty easy to do from here on out, but if you need more direction just post in this thread.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 19 September 2005 - 06:48 PM.

Wire111

Wire111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, I guessed it wouldn't be that easy.