Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick Time Cannot Play AVI Files

• Please log in to reply

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
sorry to change the topic but i fixed the problem i had posted earlier.

the problem i have now is kind of related. before my quicktime problem started i was able to play avi files in quicktime. now that i have fixed the problem with quicktime, im not able to play these files. .mov files work and i am able to stream videos online.

i dont know why its not playing avi files. maybe its missing codecs? all my videos can be played on WMP but not in quicktime.

so thank you again and i look foward to some help :tazz:

Edited by xxfntmxx, 20 September 2005 - 05:35 PM.

Advertisements

ronto1956

ronto1956

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Luv it...luv it ...luv...it... :tazz:

this is too good to pass up... i'm going to be a smart (@$$) first, then i'll explain..

your question has this example... WHY CAN I PUT A CHEVY ENGINE IN MY FORD,
WHEN IN FACT, IT AND ENGINE....<<<<----------SEE...!!!

Now to explain... quicktime (apple) was design to run .mov files...ONLY.
" " " Realplayer " " " .rm " "
mediaplayer...aha... the granddaddy of them all was design to play...avi.wma.wmv,mp3,mpg asf ...etc...etc.... ( QUICKTIME FILE AND REALPLAYER)...

good luck...

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
what? I thought quicktime has avi support?

do you have the divX plugin?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
For DivX try the DivX player. It works very well and is free.

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
to the smart [bleep]...um...quictime plays avi files. so i dont know what the [bleep] your talking about. 2nd you can put a chevy engine in a ford. couple of custom engine mounts and parts can make anything possible in a car, so dont even use that metaphor with me.

i appreciate the rest of you guys helping. yes i have the divx codecs. after i found this problem i reinstalled k-lite codec pack so i dont think im missing any codecs. and 2nd im using quicktime to encode videos to mp4 formate. and i tried to encode the videos while quicktime was on the white screen but the encoding just came out the same as the player.

i normally play videos on WMP but i just need to figure out how to make quicktime play videos so i can use it to encode videos for my cellphone, which onlysupports 3gp and mp4 files.

so any other suggestion is helpful guys.

i appreciate the help. :tazz:

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

Have you tried installing the "official" Divx Mac codec from www.divx.com? I have never been a big fan of the codec packs and they can sometimes cause problems. The other question is are you sure that the AVI files have been encoded with Divx? Avi is just a wrapper for several different video codecs. There is a possibility they could be Xvid encodec avi's; Xvid has become increasingly popular. Here is a link to the Xvid codec for Mac:
http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

Unfortunately, a quick search on videohelp.com did not reveal any codec/video inspectors for Mac.

What exact error message or strange behavior do you get from quicktime when trying to play the avi's? Sound but no video, absolutely nothing?

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Tom

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
i tried that codec pack and it didnt solve the problem.

thanks for the help but im using a windows machine not a mac.

the problem is that when i play the file the quicktime player has a white screen. with some videos there is sound but it sounds its being fast fowarded and with other videos theres no image or sound at all. the possition bar moves as if the video was playing.

some of the files im playing have a divx or xvid encoding in them. but they used to play fine on quicktime. i have no idea whats going on.

but thanks for the help!

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

I am a moron! Quicktime != Mac only. For the video/codec inspector, one that I highly recommend to analyze the files and associated codecs is a free program called "VideoInspector". It will tell you what codecs the file is requesting and provide a link to download any missing ones. You can check it out at:
http://www.kcsoftwar...m/index.php?vtb

To be honest, I am not sure what to make of the behavior of the videos. Can you think of any major programs you have installed/uninstalled since they used to work with quicktime? Have you tried re-installing the Quicktime player? Just trying all the basics and let us know what VideoInspector says about the files.

Cheers,
Tom

i tried that codec pack and it didnt solve the problem.

thanks for the help but im using a windows machine not a mac.

the problem is that when i play the file the quicktime player has a white screen. with some videos there is sound but it sounds its being fast fowarded and with other videos theres no image or sound at all. the possition bar moves as if the video was playing.

some of the files im playing have a divx or xvid encoding in them. but they used to play fine on quicktime. i have no idea whats going on.

but thanks for the help!

View Post

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
hi,

i appreciate the help so much.

i used videoinspector on a couple of videos which i couldn't get quicktime to play and it shows me that the codecs for both audio and video are installed.
many have XVID MPEG-4 codec

i have reinstalled quicktime recently. and after that reinstalled the problem arose.

in my first post the problem i had mentioned was that i was updating to itunes 5 which came with quicktime. after the update itunes crashed and i got a error from quicktime. so i uninstalled both programs. i then installed itunes from CD and downloaded the standalone installer of quicktime from apple's website. after that i updated again and both itunes and quicktime works, except itunes works perfectly fine, and quicktime doesnt play avi files.

i remember reviously i had been able to play videos on quicktime 5 so i uninstalled quicktime again and installed quicktime 5 to see if that made any difference, but the same problem with whitescreen.

i didnt understand the problem so i reinstalled quicktime 7 and tried to figure the problem and look for solutions onlin. both on apple's support page, on this forum, and other misc computer help websites. but i wouldn't find anything that was related to this. so i decided to ask for help here.

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
anyone have any suggestions please?
quick time still doesnt play divx xvid encoded items. though it does play .mov, mpeg-1/2 and 3gp files

edit

now when i play some files it gives me this

some necessary quicktime software is missing. it may be available on the quicktime website.
if you have a dialup connection to the internet, make sure it is active, then click the continue button to check for the software.

Edited by xxfntmxx, 25 September 2005 - 09:11 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

anyone have any suggestions please?
quick time still doesnt play divx xvid encoded items. though it does play .mov, mpeg-1/2 and 3gp files

edit

now when i play some files it gives me this

some necessary quicktime software is missing. it may be available on the quicktime website.
if you have a dialup connection to the internet, make sure it is active, then click  the continue button to check for the software.

View Post

I can't get QT to play DivX format either. So I use the DivX player or WMP instead. It plays most other avi formats well. BTW it is very useful for making screen captures.

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
i do the same but i dont rely on quicktime to play the files, i need quicktime to be able to play them because only then im i able to use quicktime to encode videos to mp4 and 3gp format for my phone/psp