Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cheap Gaming Rig

• Please log in to reply

AdInfinitum

AdInfinitum

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey guys, back again, have a new rig that ive been tweaking. Im trying to get a solid gaming rig on a really tight budget, but with some OCing and what not I think I can have a solid comp that still plays the games I want....

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2700+ Thoroughbred 333MHz 256KB L2 Socket A
80$ - Nice and cheap, doesnt have to be upgradeable, and supposibly I can get a nice OC on this thing.

Power Supply: FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN 400W Power Supply
40$ - Recommended solid PSU

Motherboard: ASRock K7S41GX Socket A
45$ - Again cheap, but with rock solid reviews in conjunction with the processor.

Hard Drive: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB 3.5" IDE Ultra ATA133
55$ - Socket A Mobos dont support SATA from what ive seen, but I wouldnt want to change the mobo for the price, so im sticking to this ATA, unless there is a way to plug in some type of converter?

Memory: CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR
95$ - A gig of 184 pin from a well known company, good price, overclockable.

Graphics Card: XFX Geforce 6600GT
150$ - This is the splurge, this baby will get me running all of the games I want, and im willing to spend it when im pinching other places, still not a bad price by itself really.

Sound Card: Integrated
Free - Sound is fine integrated

Coolant System: MASSCOOL 80mm LED CPU Cooler
10$ - Cheap, decent reviews, very few coolers I could get reasonably. I wanted to led to add a little color since there will be a windowed case, but with the moderate to intensive OC on the processor, I might change it, any ideas?

Chassis: COOLER MASTER Centurion
55$ - Very nice case, the one I will order has a prefab window. The case is pretty hot, very solid looking, good company.

Contolers: Saitek Eclipse illuminated Keyboard + Logitech MediaPlay Cordless Silver/Black Mouse
75$ total - This is my other splurge, I love this keyboard, and I need a nice cordless mouse as my desk will get cluttered easily.

Speakers: Integrated
Free - Ones come in the monitor, again, sound isnt number 1 priority.

Free - Duh.

So, any ideas, anything I should change? Ive got the monitor, and just about every product is from newegg so the prices are reliable. The total on this sucker comes out to a nice 605$. Pretty nice id say. Ill grab a few cathodes, and I think im ready to go, but id really like some imput. Thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

cyberCrank

cyberCrank

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
$50 for 120+ GB ATA-133 disk at Tiger and Newegg often:

http://www.tigerdire...p?EdpNo=1538110

** disk size continues to increase as the prices drop with much competition **

You may want to check the particular games you intend to play/use and see if they run on Linux... Most of the ones my son likes only runs on Windows (XP, etc.)

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
developers are now putting out linux compatible games (Finally). BF2 and HL2 are linuxable, the older battlefields all are too as is Warcraft 3 and some other big games.

AdInfinitum

AdInfinitum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hmm, well the biggest intrest for me is if I can run World of Warcraft, but is there a way to discover if this game is linux compatible? Also, thanks for the HD advice, anything else?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would say spend money on the systems basics and then upgrade later you wont be hardcore gaming straight away bt as it is that set up is pretty out dated at the moment. You ideally want a 939 mobowith a venice cpu and then you upgrade the gfx and then the cpu and ram later on with some low latency dual channel ram and a dual core cpu. Or just stick with what you got, just remeber you wnt be able to get much in the way of upgrades for it(none really), and linux isnt the best for games support is increasing but its still not great.

With computers you really do get what you pay for, i would save up a bit longer wait till you get a 1000 bucks and then get it cause even an extra 200 on that budget would make a huge difference. And x800s are worth looking into they are superior to the 6600GT and the same price. Nice case the centurion 530 is a good case.

AdInfinitum

AdInfinitum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well I really did want to stick to making the rig as cheap as possible but I suppose adding the money to it for upgradeability is important. Anyway, I couldnt find any of the x800s that werent about 100$ or more then the 6600, could you point me in the right direction. Also, Linux does run all the games I have the intention to play using Cedega, which ports the game to Linux. WoW being my most important choice, i doubled checked it, http://transgaming.o...ml?game_id=3157.

Finally here is my dilemma. My intention was to build this rig, and use it for a good while, then after a while, build a second one down the road. My intention for the second one was to be the larger more extravegent comp, large case water cooling etc, obviously at a greater cost. This one was going to run about 1600$. I mean, I could put a DFI Lanparty and a 3500+ in this one, but that right there is a 350$ upgrade :tazz: . Any suggestions for a 939 mobo + cpu that are solid but cheap? I'd really just like to Oc it heavily, so im thinking I can get away with lower ghz.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
OCin and cheap motherboards dont work you need a good motherboard its arguably more importnat than your choice in cpu. The 3000 and 3200+ venice cores are very very good overclockers. A later upgrade couldbe a 3800+X2 cpu its apparently an amazing overclocking chip to use and obviously its got the dual core advantage on tip of that.

If linux plays the games you want it to then just stick with that but there may be future games that dont so be careful with that, and obviously check you can get drivers, people who use windows forget that linux needs its own drivers for everything you use there isnt and PnP.

Financially its better to spend extra at the start but not to much and then upgrade, but its up to you. There is a new release of two new, versions fo the x800 with the same power but for alot less money than 6600s but thy overclock better than 6600s to. I can find them here but from what ive typicaly seen it takes longer for new kit to find its way to the shops outside europe.