Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

xp will not start

• Please log in to reply

mdhughes03

mdhughes03

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I was running windows 98 and got a trojan which caused some damage to some programs. as I was unable to use the recovery disks(error message:this computer has no valid information) I upgraded to XP, wiping my hard drive. all was running fine until I installed some software (nero) and now my pc is stuck in a cycle of being unable to start up properly. I get as far as the windows xp page before the screen flashes blue and tries to reboot again. I am not given the option to boot in safe mode etc, all that is available is POST or CMOS. I don't know much about either...HELP! is there something I can change in the BIOS, or can I boot from thexp cd somehow? (since the recovery program fails part way thru, I am able to run commands in DOS, but it's so long since I've used it, don't know what commands to type!!
many many thanks in advance,
Mandy

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Hi Mandy and welcome to GTG
When the PC starts booting, press F8 repeatedly until you get the selection of options.
Select Last Know Good Configuration

Try that and let me know.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
(LKGC) Last Know Good Configuration might now work as he has restarted couple of times. Boot to safe mode and uninstall the latest installed software.

try sfc /scannow in start->run prompt, you might need the windows XP disk.

mdhughes03

mdhughes03

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
nope neither of those worked, just the same cycle of trying to reboot. I also tried to change the boot order in BIOS to boot the xp cd first but it wouldn't save the changes I made....time for a new hard drive?!

ronto1956

ronto1956

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: Listen the person can not get pass the "POST"..
reboot yoor system press f2 or Del or whatever you need to get
into the bios... once there enable default setting,,, save and exit...
this should do it.... if not repeat steps... go into each section, one by
one...and may sure everything is correct.. ( i strong advice you (since
you do not know anything about the bios,,, ask someone or better yet
use someone else system and LOOK UP detail about YOUR bios from the system
manufactor ))...

Good luck..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got any data on the PC you need to keep

mdhughes03

mdhughes03

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
keith no, not bothered about keeping anything now, just want to get it up and running lol!

ronto1956 I will try the bios again, but like I said it isn't saving the settings I put in, just stays on the same screen doing nothing

thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Everest Home here (if you do not know the make of Hard Drive)

http://www.lavalys.h...p?pid=1&lang=en

Run it then click + next to computer then summary, look on right for the details

Either post the make and model, along with drive size, or go to the manufacturers site to look for their set up / disc wizard

With this you can wipe the drive and also set the drive to run with your PC

If the drive is over 137GB, just run the drive erase / wipe, do not use the wizard to set the drive

mdhughes03

mdhughes03

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks keith I will have a go

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It should have drive fill, write zeros to drive, the full version will take hours but worth it if you are not in a rush