Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't boot up for anything

• Please log in to reply

SmokeyBandit

SmokeyBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

also, you can download ubcd then burn it to a disk, its bootable and has the memtest on it.  This is what I have had to do to test my ram, without a floppy. 

just an fyi..

View Post

yes, but I don't think I can make that CD b/c you must have a regular XP cd to help make it, which I don't have, I only have a emergency recover disk of XP, not a setup disk.

Think I'm either going to A. clean my harddrive or B. try to get the money for a floppy drive.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You do not need an XP CD to make a UBCD

The UBCD files are downloaded then burnt as an ISO Image to a CDR

This will boot the PC

SmokeyBandit

SmokeyBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

You do not need an XP CD to make a UBCD

The UBCD files are downloaded then burnt as an ISO Image to a CDR

This will boot the PC

View Post

Correct, but it won't boot correctly.

it does need the XP cd, on the how to build CD page, 2."Windows XP CD"

http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm

I tried to do it just for the UBCD and not use Bart's but by a search on their forums awhile back I found out that you have to have it, and I shouldn't be getting the DR-DOS thing popping up.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will be able to use UBCD to determine memory or hard drive errors and to wipe the drive as per post 16, if you are still considering it

SmokeyBandit

SmokeyBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I must have burnt it incorrectly because I tried it and I get this DR-DOS thing to come up, nothing works with it either.

Btw I found an old Floppy drive not sure if my motherboard will notice it. Hopefully today I'll be able to find some time to work on it.

SmokeyBandit

SmokeyBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Now I can't make a MemTest86 floppy b/c I get an error that reads

The System file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows Applications. Chose 'close' to terminate the application

davesfx

davesfx

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
1. You could have used nero and created a boot cd and used their default image.

2. when downloading the files from ubcd, they give you an iso right off the bat. If you extract that (which I did the first time) it didn't pull up the ubcd menu.

It did however drop me off with caldera dr dos. You can then use dos commands to get you to the dostools then cd to correct folder and run memtest from startup. If you understand basic dos command file structures. very confusing in the beginning, ultra easy after a 3 minute tutorial :tazz:

Any more help please feel free to ask!

SmokeyBandit

SmokeyBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I tried typing dir to get the contents on the CD to show and it gives me an error saying "Not Ready Error Reading MRCD001"

EDIT:nevermind I got it

EDIT2:I got some program to work, but it turns out to be in german or russian. It definately not Spanish, Italian, or French...

EDIT3: I tried to access my virus scanner through DR-DOS and I got this error

"Access AVG through DOS cannot init CORE (Corrupted AVI 7.AVG)

Edited by SmokeyBandit, 26 September 2005 - 06:51 PM.

SmokeyBandit

SmokeyBandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Anyone know if there is a CD burning program through DOS then I could just copy all my files to CD's and then just erase my harddrive and start over?