Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Audio/Volume Control Systray WinME

• Please log in to reply

amstuart

amstuart

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi:

I lost audio from my speakers except for the ability to hear recorded music on CD's. Windows WAV files (opening and closing programs) no longer heard. Windows Media Player returns error that sound card is not installed. System tray is missing volume control. Device Manager shows no conflicts: I uninstalled Creative Sound Blaster 128 PCI (WDM)in SAFE mode, rebooted in Normal mode, system found new hardware and again installed driver. Same issue. I looked at SNDVOL32.EXE in System folder and nothing happens when I click on it. I tried to open Sound Recorder but the error message is there is no sound device installed. I went to Add/Remove Hardware and reinstalled the sound device. Nothing. Volume Control is grayed out in the Accessories folder under Start-Programs-Accessories-Entertainment. Really stuck on this one! Wanted to add that in Control Panel\Sounds and Multimedia\Devices\Audio Devices, the device listed is Audio for Creative Sound Blaster PCI128 (WDM). Status is: "Driver is enabled but inactive due to unknown problem. Other audio device listed is Audio for Unimodem Half Duplex: same error "Driver is enabled but inactive due to unknown problem". I used my System Restore Disk to uninstall and reinstall the audio device driver (Creative Sound Blaster). Same issues.

Thanks.

Adam

Advertisements

amstuart

amstuart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Not sure if this helps. I notice "PCI" issues under Problem Devices.

Attached Files

amstuart

amstuart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Third additional piece of information: ran msconfig, I used selective start-up and on reboot the MS-DOS start-up screen appears. I used "NORMAL", not "DIAGNOSTIC STEP-BY-STEP" start-up. All sound files are normal (WAV, MPEG, and Windows sounds). Hope this helps someone.

Adam