Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Snapped hard drive pin

• Please log in to reply

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hi, i snapped my hard drive pin and bent 3 around it. (there are still 26odd left) WIll a computer repair shop fix this or is it a lost cause? thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
that wouldn't be an easy fix....i'm sure you could find someone who would be able to do it...but it probably wouldn't be cheap...i would suggest getting a new hd and being a little more carefull with the cable.

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
how much money would you expect it would cost? its 300GB so that cost me $300.00AUS, there is a bit of data i need on it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'm not 100% sure..but i know that there are a bunch of repudable data recovery companies here in the us that usually charge about 200-500 dollars for hd recovery..

bazcor

bazcor

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I assume this is a normal IDE not serial ATA drive?

There is a slight chance that the pin you have broken is not important, check out http://www.bbdsoft.com/ide.html and see if it is one of the grounds, or not connected, .

That gives you slightly less than 25% chance of getting away with it! Good luck...

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
how do i match the diagram up with the HD pins?

Its either 37, 38 and 39 that are bent (only slightly). 40 is snapped.

or 1 is snapped, 2, 3 and 4 are bent.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Nice link bazcor,

Pin one will line up with the red stripe on the ide ribbon cable . If pin one is snapped I doubt you will get away with it but if pin 40 is snapped you will most likely be ok,

As for the bent pinns it depends if they are ready to snap or are just out of alignment and you can bend them without snapping them

Rick

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if they're not snapped you can use a retractable bic pin to unbend them

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
ahhh dsenette good idea

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
where can i get one? what is it?

cjh1221

cjh1221

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
a retractable bic pen is a pen that has a little click button on the bottom. When you push the button once it pushes the point of the pen out. When you push it again, the point retracts. I really hope that is what you meant cause if not.....boy do i feel like an a&*!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Ok get a paper clip and a pair of pliers. Messaure the length of the paper clip to the length of the pins. Cut the paper clip to the same length then insert the paper clip into the cable end then push the cable with the pin back on to the drive. Should work, Try to get a paper clip that is a snug fit

speedman

speedman

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
thats a good idea, i did that with a nidle but it was for a VGA port, it work but it have to be the rigth length.