Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unknown site in internet history

• Please log in to reply

confused07

confused07

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Under what circumstances can sites be added to a computer's internet history?

In my internet history, (under yahoo.com) there is an unknown screenname. I have wireless internet if that makes a difference (although it is password protected).
This unknown screenname has caused me trouble so PLEASE help me in resolving this issue.

Under what circumstances can this screenname be checking email (and getting on my internet history) without physically being at my computer? is there ANY WAY to resolve this?

being accused of being a screenname that appears in my history
but i have never seen before.

help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...it's hard to get anything into your internet history without someone accessing that site from your computer...or something...it could be malware....or more likely a roomate/child/spouse/or the dog if he's good at typing.

confused07

confused07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Can I be 100% certain things in my internet history (this yahoo screenname) was physically checked from my computer?

(the drama behind it: I would hate to inquire a roommate about such an issue when they are innocent. This same yahoo mail account (the same screenname) has written things to my friends. and currently I am being held responsible.)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the most likeley two scenarios is that someone has hacked your machine and is sending mails from your machine by accessing this mail account (which could theoretically be a virus...though a virus can't really use web based email) or someone is sitting at your machine being an idiot....i would vote on the second one....you should probably put a password (or a better one if you already have one) on your user account...

confused07

confused07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
wonderful. thanks for your help. is there a way of showing / determining whether these are due to malware?

the interesting thing to me is that yahoo messenger automatically adds folders (program files/yahoo/messenger/profiles) for each account checked on that computer- and these screen names are there.

an answer to the first question would be phenomenal if it's some how possible.

trying to prove my innocence

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can do this for the malware check....but by all of your descriptions i would promise you that someone is logging on to your machine locally and accessing the yahoo jazz.

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.